Anybody been to Fuengirola?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
That's where we're off to next week, I've never heard of the place before. Hubby kept telling me we were going to Marbella, but our friends gave us the correct name only yesterday. Have any of you been there before, can you recommend anywhere to visit? I've been checking the AccuWeather on my phone, and we'll be in the company of 23 degrees - oooooh yeah!!!!! :o0 :hyper:
Annajoly123 Posts: 601
I have been there a few years ago a few times. We stayed in Marbella and Peurto Banus so we went there for a day trip. We went to Fuengirola zoo, which was a fun day out. Along the beach there are plenty of nik-nak shops to buy touristy things. There are a few nice restaurants around that area but I can't remember the name of them now, sorry. Ye could also go to Marbella/P.Banus for day trips. The bus service is great from Fuengirola and doesn't take to long. There are huge department stores in both places called El Corte Ingles. These are defiantly having a look around, I think the best one was the one in p.banus. Have a look on Trip Advisor and see what the top places to do and see are! :) I live on that when Im planning a holiday! Have a great trip - am very jealous you will be in the sun!! :-8
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
I was there on a girly holiday back in 1999- where have the last 14 years gone! I'm sure it's changed lots since then but it was a relatively small town- a nice size though, lots of restaurants in one area and disco bars in another. Only one proper nightclub. You can easily do day trips to other places. Enjoy
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
I was there a couple of times a few years ago. I would avoid the centre of town at night, it was very rough. I think it's more an English destination which might be why you hadn't heard of it. I think Mijas and Benalmadena are both close by and were nicer towns to wander around
Grotty Dotty Posts: 751
Fuengirola and Marbella/P. Banus are worlds apart. I wasn't mad about it. Smelt funny. Why would your DH lie to you about where you were going?
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
I stayed in Mijas a few years ago and we got a bus into Fuengirola a few evenings for dinner. There's a strip of restaurants just off the beach from memory and there's a lovely Argentinian steakhouse near the end of this strip - highly recommend it!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Thanks for all the info ladies, I'll just have to get a spare hour or so, to trawl through the internet and see what's waiting for us next week. I'm just happy that it looks like we're going to have lovely weather for the full week. All I want to do, is get on a plane, for more than an hour and go anywhere that's warmer than here. Dear God it's freezing out there this morning!!!!! [quote="Grotty Dotty":1x0u1ghp]Why would your DH lie to you about where you were going?[/quote:1x0u1ghp] He didn't lie - he's Geography's crap! :yelrotflmaosmilie: and I think he wanted to keep the suspense going, for as long as possible. It's friends parents that have very kindly lent us thier place, but it was a nightmare trying to get hold of them to ask about the place - or all of us just kept forgetting. :duh: I think the friend had thrown Marbella somewhere into the conversation, so hubby got it into his head that that's where the place was. I only got the correct spelling of the place on Sunday. When we saw where it was on the map, hubby said "Oh, so it's not Marbella after all!" Ah well. :o0 Whether it's next door to Marbella, or a trek away, I don't care - I'm just happy that we're getting a week in the sun. We're not into the nightclubs anymore, they're fond.....memories of our 20's, I don't think the head and stomach could handle a hangover in the heat!! :hic We're now more into exploring the place, we've hired a car, that way we can go that little bit further. We were in Marbella about 3yrs ago, for a friends wedding. We didn't get to go out and about as much as we'd have liked to. The wedding guests kind of kept together - it was a tiny wedding, we were all even in the same small complex. My sister was there too, and we didn't get as much "us-time" as we had wanted. The bit I'm not looking forward to, is the driving part, hubby is the driver, but it's the other drivers I'm worried about. We found the roads to be narrower than here (or were we imaging it?) and the speed - sweet Jesus!!! :ooh At least we know what to expect this time, and hopefully the car trips won't be as terrifying! :o0 Fast drivers scare the sh!t outof me!