Anybody going to the Galway Races?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Annajoly123 Posts: 601
As the title asks, is anybody going? Or does anybody make sure they go every year? I like to go every year if I can but this year I am going all out on Ladies Day hoping to catch one of the judges eyes hahahaha!! What will people be wearing if they are going? There can be some MAD fashion at the races every year.
Fruice Posts: 677
Nope. Went once, didn't see the fuss tbh. It was so busy, so tough to get a drink, place was a mess, just wasn't worth the effort to stand around in heels all day! I think we had a particularly bad day because a friend who had recently been dumped was leading the way and he was just a drunken depressing mess, that one day turned me off the whole thing and I've never gone back in 7 years since, despite living very near the racecourse for about 4 years.
atina Posts: 2240
I went for a few years on the trot and after two years in a row of bad weather i said never again! Too much walking/ queuing involved in getting out of the races got soaked to the skin to years on the trot on ladies day! Not pleasant!
mrsmay14 Posts: 9
Im going!!! 4th yr on trot! not goin too mad on fashion, comfort is key for me, tis a long day in heels!! Enjoy to all who r goin!!
MrQ Posts: 1085
4 years on the "trot" mrsmay? What race are you running in? LOL I work in Galway every Thursday and every year I try to be gone by 12 but normally by 10am there's already lots of guys already in suits around the place. I'd love to go if I lived in Galway because the price of hotels is shocking and I'm also talking about the crap hotels as well asking for big money.
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="Fruice":3ahhfwa2]Nope. Went once, didn't see the fuss tbh. It was so busy, so tough to get a drink, place was a mess, just wasn't worth the effort to stand around in heels all day! I think we had a particularly bad day because a friend who had recently been dumped was leading the way and he was just a drunken depressing mess, that one day turned me off the whole thing and I've never gone back in 7 years since, despite living very near the racecourse for about 4 years.[/quote:3ahhfwa2] +1 - lived in Galway all my life and went once and hated it! M locals dont like it either and plan their holidays to be out of the city that week. Thats said - DH loves it as do most of his crowd (hes not from galway) so will hardly see him from Wednesday onwards. If you like fashion and getting dressed up, I can see the attraction of Ladies day, but its not for me. On the plus side - traffic is much lighted getting home from work as I go against the traffic so am home earlier. Warm - but overcast with showers here so far today in case anyone going is interested a weather forecast :o0
I can totally understand why people might not like going but I must say I love any occasion to get dressed up to the nines , haha! MrQ, you are right, the hotel prices here for that week are insane! I saw the meryick selling rooms for over 300 euro a night without breakfast!!!! :eek :eek The key if you know someone living in Galway to stay with them if at all possible! Did anybody who went or is going book a few seats/table? or did/will ye be just wandering around? I am trying to decide what we should do..
Fruice Posts: 677
I used to work really close to the races so got the week off for it because the place was dead, that was awesome! Week off at the height of summer, avoiding the races :)
MrQ Posts: 1085
Well my warehouse is in Oranmore, behind the Maldorn, If I really wanted to go I could always put an inflatable mattress in the office. I have to go to Galway again Thursday but I love the traffic because there's hardly any. People stay off work and others think traffic is mental so it ends up being nice and quiet and with no schools it's a dream. I used to work on Shop Street, starting my day at 6am, and on the morning after Ladies day(or Rag week) the place is mental. Walking Shop street surrounded by drunks at 5:45am is weird. :hic Here's a link to Trivago showing their prices for Ladies Day Night. [arr]=2013-08-01&aDateRange[dep]=2013-08-02&iRoomType=7&iMemberProfileId=0&iViewType=0&iGeoDistanceItem=0&iPathId=42401& €220 for a room in a B*B in Salthill FFS. :o0
WHAT!!!this can't be right, Hanley Oaks hotel or is it apartments but in Westside are charging 395EURO for thursday!! I thought they were closed... Also the G is 400 euro for the night! it is all madness. Who said we were in a recession!?