Menu

anyone been on holidays to Portuagl - advice please!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babs76 Posts: 1000
I’m nearly 14 weeks pregnant and myself and my DH are trying to book a holiday and we are thinking of Portugal. Has anyone been and if so have any of you any suggestions as to where to go and where to stay. We spoke to the travel agent and he was on about Alvor and it looks lovely. We are going to go self catering and we are on a serious budget so if anyone can recommend anything at all it would be much appreciated Thanks again
im waiting Posts: 2727
I was in Portugal a few years ago and loved it. I stayed in Praia da rocha though which would be for someone whose looking for night life (I was a young one at the time). Alvor is meant to be lovely so Id definetly recommend there. It also depends on what your looking for in a holiday, whether you want to be in the middle of everything (bars, cafes, beach etc). If its a good deal and you like the accommodation then go for it. This might be of no help to you but their are lovely waterparks near the airport and a Sea World which I thought was great. I dont know whether you'll want to do anything like that at this stage in your pregnancy, but id definelty recommend sea world as I thought it was great. Their are lovely boat trips too you can take, but you can look into all that when you get there. I havent met one person who didnt enjoy portugal
short n sweet Posts: 1802
Alvor is beautiful - a little fishing village that has plenty to do - it has a longish transfer from the airport though - Cabanas is also lovely and would be fairly quiet - there is a property there that Sunworld do I think called Pedras da Rainha and it's got very good reviews - Lagos is another resort that would be quiet and if you are looking for somewhere a little livelier there are numerous cheap enough SC apts in Albuferia - good luck I love Portugal, the food is the biggest draw and people are very friendly
milis Posts: 7998
We stayed in Montechoro this year. It's only 30 minutes from the airport, which was my main concern, I didn't want to be travelling for very long! It was a nice area... a few hills though!!!
CSD Posts: 20
Yeah Alvor is a lovely spot. We stayed in Hotel Delphin. Spotless, friendly staff etc. Hotel right on beach, which is amazing. And spotless too. 20 min walk to town centre, which has laods of restraunts etc. Bout an hour, maybe more from Airport though.
honeybunch Posts: 1218
Hi, I was in Albufeira earlier this year. It was lovely but a bit hilly for the beach area! My recommendation would be to check out 1800hotels.ie, they have great prices. We got a hotel for a week for two people with breakfast included for 200 for the two of us! Then, booked flights with Aer Lingus. Much cheaper than travel agent. Sorry can't be of more help with where to go though. :wv
honeybunch Posts: 1218
Hi, I was in Albufeira last month. It was lovely but a bit hilly for the beach area! My recommendation would be to check out 1800hotels.ie, they have great prices. We got a hotel for a week for two people with breakfast included for 200 for the two of us! And that was in July! Then, booked flights with Aer Lingus. Much cheaper than travel agent. Sorry can't be of more help with where to go though. :wv
miracle_baby Posts: 798
Visited Algrave (Albufeira ) last year had a great time but be prepared to walk the hillls. We also did a day trip to Seville which was great for shopping.