anyone considering being a stay at home mum?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Always hoping Posts: 784
I'm really curious about this but I would love to stay at home and have lots of babies and look after the house and cook hubby dinner and iron his shirts... The thing is that NOBODY I know would EVER say anything like that. I know money doesn't grow on trees and lots of people need 2 incomes but I also feel alot of people could survive on 1 wage but give in to the social pressure of going out to work. I'm telling everyone I'll work part-time when the baby is a few months old but deep down it's not what I want. I know I might change my mind but I love being at home - I hate leaving my dog when I go to work so I know I'd be a disaster leaving a baby!!! I have 5 yrs of uni ed. behind me and I really think people would think I'm just throwing it away if I left it all... When the time comes I'm going to suit myself - very probably won't work. Can anyone relate to what I'm saying or am I just weird?!!!
mariac Posts: 982
would love to do this, for first year or so, but cant - we need 2 wages coming into the house. with your uni ed - would you not look into working at home opportunities. if you can do it why not.
Delish Posts: 4176
I waiver between wanting to do this, and then thinking I would crack up. Ideally I would like part time but same wage - I'm convinced I could cram the same mount of work into part time hours -oops better not say that too loud :eek :o0 . But I just got my yearly mortgage statement from the bank and the payments are so high and interest pretty high at the moment, I don't think there is any reality in me being able to stay home for another couple of years at least. Frightening stuff. If you can afford to do it, and if you prepared to sacrifice the extra wage then don't let other people's opinion sway you.
newly Posts: 198
hi there always shopping would love to do this am def only going back to work Part time need two wages, if you can afford to do and thats what you want do it xx
Mrs Mai Posts: 763
I did it - well... am doing it. Loved my job, did years in college too but alway though/hoped I'd be a stay at home mother. I find people do some times think it's a bit odd but I don't really care. Regarding affording it - it's not so bad if it means enough to you. I really miss my wages but wouldn't change things at the moment any way. I'd maybe consider a morning or 2 if that was possible when my dds eventually go to school -smallest one only 7 weeks old though so will be a while. I'd say go for it - don't worry about what other people think - we only get one life! Good luck!
chocaddict Posts: 344
Like you alwayshopping, I would absolutely love to stay at home once my baby is born, and have about 5 more after that! I love the idea of being a homemaker and a mother, being able to totally devote myself to my children and home life. I imagine I'd be thrilled to spend my days baking, shopping etc for my loved ones, rather than being cooped up in an office. But when anyone asks, I say I'll go back to work part-time when the baby is a few months old. I think there's more respect for people who do this nowadays sadly. Not that it'll stop me from doing what I want to do when the time comes.
mumof2 Posts: 3864
I am the same - I would love to and do intend to stay at home. I have a degree and love my job but I always knew I would stay at home. Thankfully we can afford it but I will be giving up the luxuries. I took my holidays before maternity leave so I have been off since Christmas and now going back on Monday for 2 weeks before I take my mat leave. While I don't have the baby left - I absolutely loved being at home, getting up with DH and making breakfast, doing my chores, meeting someone for lunch, going for a swim or walk and back for a nap and getting DH dinner ready and had all evening free with him. I know this will be different when baby arrives but I can't wait to get these two weeks over me and start nesting again. Another thing I noticed is that this month I spent hardly no money, less on petrol no lunches out, clothes nothing - I seemed to need alot less being at home so don't think now I will lose out too much money wise.
maybaby2008 Posts: 23
I absolutely LOVE my job but I am going to give it up once our baby arrives. It's been a REALLY difficult decision bcause I know I could just about juggle both work and baby but I want to have more kids and I want to devote the next few years of my life to raising them and I think those early years are very important. We will definitely feel the pinch financially but we're both determined to do it. Everyone in work asumes I'm coming back after my maternity leave and I do feel the pressure to do that but I know in my heart what I want and I'm determined to make it work. My advice to you would be to listen to yours and your parner's instincts and go with them. There's so much more to life than work and money. I can't wait to be a mother.
GotPreggers Posts: 988
I would love to give up my job when my baby is born. Those of you that have done this, do you survive solely on your dh's wages or are you entitled to some sort of social welfare as a SAHM?
sinion Posts: 6050
I definitely want to stay at home, it's very important to both me and hubby. I'll definitely look for some work on the side, either something I can do from home or fit around hubby's work. for me what swung it was remembering my childhood and early school days, my mum was always there at the front door waiting when we'd get home, but on the days she wasn't there I was heartbroken that she wasn't standing at the door waiting! the image in my mind of her standing there is so heartwarming, I know I want that for our kids too