Anyone doing their own bridal makeup?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

laserbride Posts: 104
I had a makeup artist booked for my wedding and went for a trial yesterday. I HATED it! I looked like a man in drag! I'm now considering doing my own makeup. The money I would save not getting it done professionally could be invested in some really good makeup for the day. I'm well used to doing it myself and have often been asked who did it for me at various events so I'm confident I could do it well. Is anyone else going the DIY route?
roma2011 Posts: 1208
I'm thinking about it too, won't be able to do a trial with any makeup artist I book as I'm getting married abroad so I'm nervous about looking "not myself", or having them not used to working with a pasty Irish complexion. Have started picking up a few bits and bobs make-up wise and am going to practice doing various wedding "looks" using you-tube as inspiration. I'm pretty ok on the make-up front. I'm mostly worried about Irish makeup techniques not working out in the heat, or having products that work here not working over there.
Flopsy Rabbit Posts: 54
Im thinking of doing this! My sister is hair dresser & is doing my hair but am thinking of asking her to do my make-up too. Im a bit of a control freak and feel i can boss her about a bit more! lol Can anyone recommend what foundations etc wear well? want to try some out before the wedding.
Sprocket Posts: 1671
[quote="Flopsy Rabbit":2tpi3m08] Can anyone recommend what foundations etc wear well? want to try some out before the wedding.[/quote:2tpi3m08] I did my friend's make-up for her when I was her BM in Aug and used Mac Studio fix liquid foundation. Applied with a foundation brush (not fingers as this adds oil to the mix), it lasted all day and you can layer it up it if you want it heavier. Set it with blot powder (again with a brush, not the pad it comes with) and it's great. I use it when I'm DJing and after 6 hours DJing in a hot club, it's still perfect.
roma2011 Posts: 1208
[quote="Future Mrs P":1pqjpotx] I did my friend's make-up for her when I was her BM in Aug and used Mac Studio fix liquid foundation. Applied with a foundation brush (not fingers as this adds oil to the mix), it lasted all day and you can layer it up it if you want it heavier. Set it with blot powder (again with a brush, not the pad it comes with) and it's great. I use it when I'm DJing and after 6 hours DJing in a hot club, it's still perfect.[/quote:1pqjpotx] Thanks for this info, am going to hit the makeup counters soon and am making up a shortlist. If this lasts in a hot club it should hopefully last out in the heat of Italy. The Mac counter will be my first port of call!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="Future Mrs P":k5tam3dy][quote="Flopsy Rabbit":k5tam3dy] Can anyone recommend what foundations etc wear well? want to try some out before the wedding.[/quote:k5tam3dy] I did my friend's make-up for her when I was her BM in Aug and used Mac Studio fix liquid foundation. Applied with a foundation brush (not fingers as this adds oil to the mix), it lasted all day and you can layer it up it if you want it heavier.[/quote:k5tam3dy] Between me and my sister we did our own at home for my wedding and used mac studio fix, again with a foundation brush. Can't remember what powder we used. I found this video good, particularly for the eyes. [url:k5tam3dy]http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/style/weddings/wedding-make-up/how-to-do-natural-wedding-make-up[/url:k5tam3dy] It was pretty warm on our wedding day and when I got to the hotel my friend spritzed my face with this setting spray. I don't know what it was but it was really good, didn't retouch my make up at all the whole day.
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
I was looking at an album last night, where the bride done her own make up and it looked amazing. I asked what she used and it was the Fuschia Mineral Makeup. She used the whole range and her skin looked radiant in the pics, really glowing and healthy. So I'm going to try this, although not sure I could apply it myself!
MammyMia Posts: 150
Hi, Thanks so much for putting up the link. The makeup is lovely. Really easy to follow. :wv
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="MichelleMyBelle":37x1udw3]I was looking at an album last night, where the bride done her own make up and it looked amazing. I asked what she used and it was the Fuschia Mineral Makeup. She used the whole range and her skin looked radiant in the pics, really glowing and healthy. So I'm going to try this, although not sure I could apply it myself![/quote:37x1udw3] Can I be cheeky and ask do you have a connection to fuchsia? I ask for two reasons. 1 they are also based in Louth, 2 I would understand that mineral makeup is known for not giving the best coverage therefore I'd be suprised that a bride would use this. Also you sound like an advertisement!! I would recommend a primer, estee Lauder double wear or double wear light and also mac studio fix. I would also use the stipple brush, think that's what they're called and mac do a mineralise powder which is quite light to set your foundation. Urban decay also do great eye shadow primers. You could do classes in applying make up if you really wanted some guidance but you tube might be as helpful. :wv My own plan is to use a make up artist, HTH
tanprincess Posts: 359
I did my own and it worked out great, I also didn't want to look like a man in drag. I bought loads of good make up and i had a friend who really knows her stuff give me some tips. YOu could get a make up lesson in mac or brown sugar maybe? I got married in Italy and my make up was fine. It was laura mercier the one i usually use but I did use a primer that would be a definite. Also I think mac do a really good foundation brush that would make a differnce too.