anyone else have bad experience at 20 week scan?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shining star Posts: 877
Hi, I'd my 20 week scan today and left so disappointed. Basically we were in there for a 3 minute consultation with a 20 second scan, no measurements, nothing pointed out to us. I'm based in the west and just wondering what other people's experience have been? From reading through, Dublin seems to give more detailed scans but I'm wondering if anyone in Galway/ Portiuncla or elsewhere have had a different experience to me as I'm thinking of ringing tomorrow to say how disappointed I felt. We've had a previous miscarriage and really needed the reassurance of today and even though he said the baby was fine, which I realise is by far the most important thing I felt we were cheated. We're going private btw. Thanks girls
little miss may Posts: 392
Hi Shining Star, I went public and am based in Cork. Had a scan around the 20 week mark and like yourself, it was quite quick although I was talked through it on the screen-I assumed that was because I was a public patient and a private patient might have had a more detailed scan. However I think now that a more detailed scan follows on later in pregnancy. Maybe there wasnt much more they could say or show to you because they were happy with what they saw? Its a pity that you feel so disappointed when you are paying so much money.
bride. Posts: 3014
Was the scan done in the sonography dept or in the consultant's room with a mini scanner? It sounds very strange to me that they were so quick. I'm Semi Private and have had two big scans and both were very detailed. The second time I was sent to the sonography dept for a scan the sonographers were very rude saying I didn't need another scan etc (I hadn't requested it, I had been referred) but nonetheless the scan took about 15 mins and was very thorough. I'm just wondering if that wasn't your main scan or something? Has anyone mentioned another one?
Dreamster Posts: 6620
I am private in Cork and although I get a scan at every consultants visit, they are super quick and over in a flash. I think from reading here that no matter which you are in Dublin (public/private) you seem to get a "big" detailed scan at 20 weeks.
shining star Posts: 877
hi girls, thanks for replies. It was in the consultant's rooms, he has, by his own admission today, a very basic scanner. He said they don't offer a detailed scan unless he feels a need for it and he doesn't. He has said he'll request one for me now but it's at my own request rather than his referral iykwim.. So i might not even get one if they're really busy. I think we gor a short straw with this guy, he's real old school, doesn't do new technology etc. I'm sure he's very good at his job and we'll be fine, just disappointed we didn't get more reassurance that a big scan would hopefully have given and that we didn't get to see more of our baby, nor will we.. We're looking into private detailed scans and 3d ones too although we had decided against this. We'll see, thanks again!
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
My one and only scan (at 18 weeks) in the North West was fairly detailed, but that's the only scan I get. My consultant doesnt even have a doppler for listening to the heartbeat, never mind a mini-scanner!! And I'm going private!
dhidra Posts: 3147
If I were you I'd try and get a scan at the hospital because the 3D scans don't really do medical checks. At my 20 weeks scan they took all sorts of measurements - head circumference, femur length etc. That was my one and only scan though. Best of luck!
madhatter01 Posts: 495
did any of you ladies get a scan before 20 wks? Im going SP in Dublin and was only givin a 20 wk appt for a scan. Should there not be one before this? :o( Thank you!
ainm Posts: 2211
[quote="elvana":lmz4estp]did any of you ladies get a scan before 20 wks? Im going SP in Dublin and was only givin a 20 wk appt for a scan. Should there not be one before this? :o( Thank you![/quote:lmz4estp] I'm going SP in Dublin aswell and i had a scan at 12 weeks and my anomaly scan at 19 weeks. I'm attending the Rotunda.
dhidra Posts: 3147
[quote="Ainm":3mvybuv9][quote="elvana":3mvybuv9]did any of you ladies get a scan before 20 wks? Im going SP in Dublin and was only givin a 20 wk appt for a scan. Should there not be one before this? :o( Thank you![/quote:3mvybuv9] I'm going SP in Dublin aswell and i had a scan at 12 weeks and my anomaly scan at 19 weeks. I'm attending the Rotunda.[/quote:3mvybuv9] I'm SP at the Rotunda and had only one scan - 20 weeks at my booking appointment. I feelhard done by now!