Anyone else NOT christening?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BusyDee Posts: 8527
Are you doing anything else? I would like to mark DD's arrival in some way but dont want to be going to too much expense. But then on other hand I would like to do something similar to a christening but obviously without the religious bit. I dont know why I feel like we'd be missing out if we dont do "something"? Does that make sense?
Sassypants Posts: 4461
I'm not pregnant, but this is something we've discussed. I'm like you, don't want a christening but do want to do something to mark the arrival. I've heard of someone having a naming ceremony and I thought that was a good idea, but not really sure how it works. [quote="BusyDee":27kb504z]I dont know why I feel like we'd be missing out if we dont do "something"? Does that make sense?[/quote:27kb504z] Yes, that's how I'd feel. Hopefully there's someone out there who will shed some light on what can be done. OT here, slightly, are you going to send your little one to an Educate Together School?? Congrats by the way!
Emme Posts: 4735
What about a naming ceremony? I know they're big in Oz and I assume they're growing in popularity here. Think it's a lovely idea. You just get a non demoninational celebrant/official to do the job whereever you like as far as I know.
lollypopwife Posts: 836
Hi BusyDee, My good friend had a baby naming ceremony for her LO. My friend has no religion but wanted something to welcome her LO into the community as such! She did not have an officient or celebrant, from talking to her its really an open book so do whatever you feel comfortable with! She had all the relatives and friends over to hers for the afternoon for food and drinks. You could choose any venue you want I would say but she was planting a tree so home suited for that. Basically we all gathered around as my friend and her parents read speeches to welcome the LO and formally name her and then they sort of ceremonially planted the tree together. Other than that, she decorated up a room in homage to her LO with pics of her with people who were attending and left notepaper for each guest to write a wish for her future. It all sounded a bit odd to me thanks to what we're used to in Ireland but on the day it was actually really lovely, it was all about celebrating the baby so do whatever suits you! If I was expecting I would be more traditional but I am a practicing catholic so its different for me. But I thought what my buddy did was really special and really suited her and her little family. Use your imagination and you'll do your LO proud! PS I even found a 'Happy Naming Day' card in Easons!! :)
Thanks sassy, yeah hope to send her to an ET school thats if the one in our town is open in 5 years time!! I suspect it will though. Ya emme I had looked up about the naming ceremony and Im thinking if we do something it will be along those lines alright but i think the celebrants are quite expensive and then you have to rent somewhere aswell or do it at home but not sure if I could handle the stress of doing it at home! I just know though if I go around calling it a naming ceremony I'll be blue in the face having to explain what it is! Already my own sister has asked me when is the christening and looked horrified when I told her NEVER!! The fact that we didnt get married in a church would be a good indication! She said that she just assumed as thats what people "normally" do so I said well obviously Im not normal so..... :action34
[quote="BusyDee":1klbx3p3] Ya emme I had looked up about the naming ceremony and Im thinking if we do something it will be along those lines alright but i think the celebrants are quite expensive and then you have to rent somewhere aswell or do it at home but not sure if I could handle the stress of doing it at home! [/quote:1klbx3p3] You can make it very relaxed if you want - that was the beauty of my friend's ceremony, nobody knew what to expect so she could have it on her own terms. Keep it as simple as suits you and then keep the stress down! Design the 'ceremony' around what suits you, the simple touches (like my friend planting a tree / the wish cards) will make it special. :wv
[quote="lollypopbride":3howxaxr]Hi BusyDee, My good friend had a baby naming ceremony for her LO. My friend has no religion but wanted something to welcome her LO into the community as such! She did not have an officient or celebrant, from talking to her its really an open book so do whatever you feel comfortable with! She had all the relatives and friends over to hers for the afternoon for food and drinks. You could choose any venue you want I would say but she was planting a tree so home suited for that. Basically we all gathered around as my friend and her parents read speeches to welcome the LO and formally name her and then they sort of ceremonially planted the tree together. Other than that, she decorated up a room in homage to her LO with pics of her with people who were attending and left notepaper for each guest to write a wish for her future. It all sounded a bit odd to me thanks to what we're used to in Ireland but on the day it was actually really lovely, it was all about celebrating the baby so do whatever suits you! If I was expecting I would be more traditional but I am a practicing catholic so its different for me. But I thought what my buddy did was really special and really suited her and her little family. Use your imagination and you'll do your LO proud! PS I even found a 'Happy Naming Day' card in Easons!! :)[/quote:3howxaxr] Cool! TBH though my family wouldnt be up for reading poems or anything like that -had to get my friend to read a poem at our wedding! They would rather come and observe :hic I like the tree idea but Id be thinking of doing this sooner rather than later and with the weather it wouldnt really work plus our garden is a heap of muck at the moment :o0 Thats good to know about the cards but Im sure lots would still get us christening cards :duh: We already got 2 - I assume they meant to buy ordinary new baby girl cards but they probably just saw the pink and "girl" on it and didnt read the rest :o0 I will have to get my thinking cap on....
strangeangel Posts: 1269
We didn't have a christening and instead had what we called a naming/welcome to the world party for DD - it was just a small gathering with close family, but we didn't really do anything ceremonial. I just wanted to mark her arrival in some way :)
Oh I know what ya mean,mine tend to get embarrased in front of themselves but it can be informal like just talking about your DD and what you hope for her etc etc. You could talk and oh... maybe have 'sponsers' or something? Like the role of godparent tradtionally but not if ya get me. They could say a few words too. It sounds cheesy but it was lovely! Planting a tree is nice but the world is your oyster! You could do anything, like you could record messages? Or have a candle lighting ceremony? Then she'd have the candle for the future. Or one idea I saw was to make a time capsule and bury it or keep it somewhere for her. I love that idea cos I was obsessed with making a time capsule when I was a kid, convinced it would make me famous in 500 years time!! Honestly do whatever suits you! Ha ha, I can imagine re the cards! It was quite funny with the naming ceremony, a lot of people actually went with congratulation cards, I was dead proud of finding the naming day one!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
We won't be doing a christening either and are planning on a welcome party for babs for close family. I think we set the marker by not having a church wedding so we're kind of hoping people won't be asking who'll be godparents and all that jazz.