Anyone else not like baby blue and baby pink clothing etc?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
It's really early days and this is hardly the most important issue... But does anyone else really not like the typical baby blue and baby pink clothing? I especially hate the pink. I'm not a fan of pastels in general but the pink especially irks me. There are some nice bits and pieces out there in creams and yellows etc but i know that once babs is born and the sex is announced we'll get hit with a barrage of pink or blue... By the way, my aversion to typical baby clothes has nothing to do with the gender specif nature of it. I'm wondering about saying it to people... Is that a step too far? I know i can say it to my mother and sisters but beyond that it might be seen as a bit loopy and ungrateful. What do you think?
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
I am so sick of buying gender neutral clothes - can't wait to start buying pink or blue.
medea49 Posts: 324
Probably not best to say anything -- you won't be able to stem the tide, and people are just being nice. Incidentally I find The Swedish brand Polarn O pyret excellent for gender neutral clothes -- a little more expensive but excellent quality and they have great sales (sold in Arnotts, house of Fraser and online).
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I don't think its good form to say anything. If people are good enough to give gifts, I think you accept them with good grace. I'm not mad on the pink/blue dichotomy myself but you have to be pragmatic about it. I know it wouldn't bother me if a good friend confided that she preferred gender neutral items I'd be fine with it but I'd also be conscious of people who would think it a bit cheeky and mumzilla-ish TBH!
tilsun Posts: 4506
Love the creams etc to balance out the pinks and blues. You will get lots of whichever colour, but if it really is too much then most shops are really good at exchanging so I wouldn't bother mentioning it to people, other than those close to you and they'll be so excited they'll ignore you anyway :o0
candypants Posts: 8575
I think as you said, they may think you are loopy :o0 And as ACS said, it does seem mumzilla :o0 I do love white babygrows on DD though, and even know i still buy her plain white ones. There so clean and fresh looking, but i wouldnt suggest for someone to buy me them instead of pink.
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I have two nieces of six months old, they both have lovely clothes in all colours of the rainbow.. They are out there you just have to look for them!!
Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
Thanks girls. Yeah i don't wanna go Momzilla. Saying something would be like putting a 'money poem' in your wedding invites. Cringe. I'll definitely be looking up the range you mentioned Medea. Thanks again :thnk
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
Friend of mine told everyone in no uncertain terms that they did not want any baby blues or pinks, nobody was offended, and she got lots of lovely white, cream, red, yellow, orange etc bits and pieces. They didn't find out the sex and when he was born I don't think she got any baby blue stuff at all. Once she told her close friends and family that she didn't want pastel baby colours we kind of spread the word, worked a treat!
YummyMummy2b Posts: 108
Maybe you could tell immediate family you would like vouchers for Debenhams, Next etc and as 23 magpies says word will spread? Or just leave it to family to let extended family know you absolutely love neutrals, reds,greys etc Just wanted to add I'm not really a fan of the gender specific colours and I absolutely LOVE the way Victoria Beckham dresses Harper!! Fair enough we will never be able to afford to dress our future LO in Chloe, D&G etc but I love all the khakis, browns, greys and navy she dresses her in and how she looks so girly and cute in her non-traditional little girl clothes! I have yet to see her dressed in pink the closest being purple!