Anyone else RH o negative blood type?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pinkerbelle10 Posts: 705
Hey Girls, Just wondering if anyone else if rhesus o negative? I hadnt realised until the other day that I was. Doctor mentioned it at last appointment and dh had to have blood test to determine his blood type, which we dont have results of yet. Interested to know anyone else's experience with this (please no horror stories - Im neurotic enough as it is about baba :o0 ! Thank you :thnk
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I'm A neg and had no problems with DS. They didn't test DH to see what he was. The only thing you need to be careful about is if you have a bleed or if you get a bad bump in the tummy otherwise it makes no difference :wv
geeklover Posts: 831
Me! Well I'm not O, but am rhesis negative. It doesn't effect you on a daily basis. The only thing you have to watch for when you are pregnant is if you have a fall or bump, generally after 12 weeks. If it does happen you should give your hospital a shout to check if you should go in to them to be checked out. I had a trip a couple of months ago and they gave me an anti d injection. That's not a horror story, all very easy to take in your stride, promise! I don't know why they asked your DH to check his blood type, not in relation to your pregnancy anyway. I''m sure they have their reasons! There's nothing to worry about, just get checked out if you fall over or if you have a bleed. You're fine, promise!
Lauri Posts: 195
Hi Ya the other are right unless you have a fall or something along those lines it really does not effect you during your pregnancy!!!!Im A neg and I know on my next visit to the hospital They are going to give me the anti D injection ill be about 32 weeks then!! :ee best of luck :lvs
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
They check hubby's blood to see if he is neg or pos. This will help in establishing whether baby is neg or pos. If baby is neg, nothing to worry bout. If baby is pos, then when giving birth, the blood can mix and it's the next baby that can be affected. Cause then you would have pos antibodies and if next baby is neg, the pos antibodies can affect it. It used to be called 'blue baby' but it's so rare these days wit the anti- d and defo nothing to worry bout if they are taking bloods etc. But thats why they give the anti-d, it helps if blood mixes. And yes, you do need to get injection if you bump yourself. No horror stories these days.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
just to clarify, you only need to contact the hospital if you fall on your bump or are in a car accident or something where your bump could get bumped. i just asked the hospital about it last week and as the nurse said "if you fall on your ass you're grand!" and as others have said, if baby is positive you'll get a shot after the birth, i don't even remember getting it but it's in my notes.
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
I'm rhesus negative, and the only time it crossed my mind was when I NEARLY had a fall during the icey winter last year whilst I was pregnant when I thought if I had any really bad fall (in which case I would probably go to the hospital anyway), but I would get an anti-body shot. But I was grand. My pal though, same blood type had a minor car accident, got the anti-body, no big deal, and nothing more on the subject. Anyway I was told to make it known to the midwivery team on 'labour day' of my blood type and the baby would get an antibody needle when it's born if he/she has positive blood type. Well I said this to the team a little while after giving birth and they said they'll know later that day if its needed and they later came back and said its not necessary.
pinkerbelle10 Posts: 705
Hi Girls! Thank you all so very much for your replies - they have put my mind at ease - and not a horror story in sight :thnk @Pregnant Dancer - yes that is why they said they had to test dh - to see if he is neg or pos so that they will know whether to give me the anti d injection or not. Im keeping my fingers crossed that maybe he is neg as well, but he is thinking he is positive. Best of luck to all of you with your little baba's - its so exciting! :lvs
28-sept-10 Posts: 1832
im rh o negative, ds was born A positive same as dh, i got the injection when he was born and ive had the anti d during this pregnancy its really nothing to worry about unless you have a bad fall or are involved in a crash etc where you need anti d
Positive2012 Posts: 481
Sorry to hijack the thread but do ye know if it's only after the 12 weeks it's required or would you need the shot before the 12 weeks aswel if you had a bleedl?