Anyone from Cork, please HELP

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Pumpkin Pie Posts: 1
Hi I have been a lot time lurker and really found this site great when i was pregnant with ds so thought i would come to you with my problem. We currently live in Dublin and dh has been offered a job in Cork. We just don't know where would be a good place to move to. He will be working in the city but we don't want to live there but don't want a long commute. Now that ds is here (2mths), we really want to find somewhere which will be good for us as a family, safe, activities for ds and groups I could join where I could meet people. If anyone can suggest places I would really appreciate it. We really need to put down some roots and are hoping it will be a long term move. Thanks so much!
eefc Posts: 1201
PM'd you! :action32
ninja next Posts: 1548
have a look at douglas - good area, very family friendly, very near the city (10/15 mins on a bus) but has a lot of its own facilities ie 2 shopping centres, cinema resteraunts. Im a corkonian in dublin. Its a great city & very easy to get to know because of the size
plainsconesonly Posts: 300
Hey Pumpkin Pie, Douglas, Bishopstown and Wilton would all be good areas to live in with lots of families and 20 to 30 minutes from town. Good luck!
vidia Posts: 2960
Have a look at Ballinlough/Blackrock, lovely areas and only about 10 mis drive to the city centre. Will ye be renting for a while??
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Midleton is a great town with a nice busy buzz, it has good schools and some nice restaurants. 15mins drive to the city.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
What part of the city will your DH be working in? I agree that Douglas/Blackrock are nice - but they would be part of the outer city. I take it that you would refer to be in a commuter town? Within half hour? Glanmire/Carrigaline/Ballincollig/Ballygarvan/Midleton/Carrigtwohill/Rathcormac etc are all commuter towns - some nicer than others, with varying prices. Is there a direction you would prefer to be situated on - such as on the Dublin Rd, for trips to family at weekends etc?