Anyone getting/got married in greece??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*Lexi* Posts: 2600
Getting married in greece in july have a wedding planner but she takes ages to email me back so im in a panic about my paperwork i dont have clue where to start -do i have to give notice to the state?do i need letters of freedom from my former parishs or can i just get a sworn affdavit(sp) from a solicitor? i also need a apostle stamp -i dont even know what this is or where i get it would really appreciate any help :thnk :thnk
RainbowBright Posts: 1425
Sorry can't help Lexi. Try Weddings abroad forum. Know that loads of brides have done the deed over there.
theoracle Posts: 7664
Hi Lexi. If you need letters of freedom etc depends on whether you are having a religious ceremony or not. If you are having a religious ceremony than you need all the church paperwork as you would getting married in Ireland (see ). For the civil side of things you will need a NUlla Osta/Cert of no Impediment issued by dept of Foreign Affairs (see contact details below). Consular Section, Department of Foreign Affairs, 72/76 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Tel: (01) 408 2568 LoCall: 1890 426 700 Fax 01 478 5951 Email: The Apostille (confirmation that the documents are authentic) can be gotten from the Greek Embassy, they will also translate your papers into Greek for you (Birth Cert and Cert of No Impediment). Greece Embassy , Ireland 1 Upper Pembroke Street Dublin Ireland Phone: +353-1-6767254 +353-1-6767255 Fax: +353-1-6618892 Email: Good luck.
minnielulu Posts: 358
Hi Lexi, We got married in Santorini last September. I only know what we needed for the civil ceremony so will be a bit different if you are going to have a religious one. Hu101 is right you will need a Certificate of no Impediment from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs. They will send you out a set of forms for each of you to complete. There is a section that you need to have witnessed by a solicitor or a commissioner for oaths. We just went to a local solicitor for this and they only charged us €20. When that's done you send the forms back to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs along with your birth certs and I think a copy of our passports. They will then issue you the Certificate of no Impediment and they will also issue the Apostille Stamps for the Certificate and for the birth certs. You have to pay for each stamp think it was €20 per stamp. This cert is only valid for 3 months from the day of issue so just make sure you don't get them done too early. Once you get everything back from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs you'll need to get it all translated. The Embassy don't acutally provide this service they will just give you contact details for someone they recommend. We had to send a copy of the docs to the translator and she did the translation but then we had to arrange to meet with her to show her the originals and get the translation from her. You then take all your originals and your translated docs into the Embassy for them to stamp and certify. They also charge for this I think it came to about €90/€120. They were a couple of hidden costs that we wern't really expecting! Sounds a bit complicated but it's grand really once you get the first set of forms filled in.
Anonymous Posts: 24542
If you're looking for an experienced, professional, English-speaking wedding planner in Greece, I would suggest Diane Konstantopoulos, a Greek-South African who is based in Athens. She can arrange every detail for you and her rates are very reasonable. See [url] I would also recommend photographer Carlo Raciti, who is Greek-Italian but speaks English. See Kala stefana (a Greek wedding wish which translates as Best Wishes!)
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
[quote="helen_i":1tvuu2rx]If you're looking for an experienced, professional, English-speaking wedding planner in Greece, I would suggest Diane Konstantopoulos, a Greek-South African who is based in Athens. She can arrange every detail for you and her rates are very reasonable. See [url] I would also recommend photographer Carlo Raciti, who is Greek-Italian but speaks English. See Kala stefana (a Greek wedding wish which translates as Best Wishes!)[/quote:1tvuu2rx] :spam:
*Lexi* Posts: 2600
sorry guys i only saw this post and ur replys thanks to everyone for your help :thnk have it all sorted now thank god :o)ll