Menu

Anyone getting married in a different part of Ireland?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Carrielynn Posts: 43
Anyone getting married in a different part of Ireland than where you live? Just curious as we were going to go abroad but changed our mind and now want to stay within Ireland. But we want to get away from our local area and go somewhere different! (we're from Limerick but would like to get married in Donegal.) Is anyone else doing anything similar? Or has anyone been to a wedding where you had to travel and stay over for 1 or 2 nights? Or are we mad?...its a 4 hour journey but we want to make a weekend out of it.... Would appreciate any feedback.... :thnk
she Posts: 3298
[quote="Carrielynn":2pj2fpa4]Anyone getting married in a different part of Ireland than where you live? Just curious as we were going to go abroad but changed our mind and now want to stay within Ireland. But we want to get away from our local area and go somewhere different! (we're from Limerick but would like to get married in Donegal.) Is anyone else doing anything similar? Or has anyone been to a wedding where you had to travel and stay over for 1 or 2 nights? Or are we mad?...its a 4 hour journey but we want to make a weekend out of it.... Would appreciate any feedback.... :thnk[/quote:2pj2fpa4] Were from Dublin and were getting married in Galway........ We were origionally looking a Rome but just was working out way too expensive so I was down in The Shannon Oaks Hotel Portumna with my Sisters and I fell in love with it. It's just perfect for what we want. Hotel, log cabins and apartment all on site and the Church straight accross the road. Were going down for 5 days and so is alot of my family, everyone else going for 3 days. About 100 adults and 15 Children(age 3-15) going, so not too over the top. It's not that we got it for a lot cheaper but it certainly wasnt as dear as Dublin and were getting great personel service that I think is what's missing in a lot of the Dublin hotels. I wouldnt worry about the 4 hour drive, if people want to go to your wedding they will make it their business to be there. Sure the amount of people going abroad now and they still have loads of guests going. BUT do expect that some people won't go and some people will moan or give out. Just keep saying" we'd love to see you there, but totally understand if you can't make it", then at least you've covered yourself................... Oh and do negociated(sp) with your hotel before you give over any money. Find out prices of rooms for the weekend and make sure you get a good rate, we did and we were so happy with it and so were our guests!!! Also get your corkage charge before hand and bar extension prices......... We kept reminding our hotel of how much money they were going to make out of our guests and we got a good deal on everything....
MamaKat Posts: 189
Hi Carrielynn, We are both from Dublin, the majority of the family also live here, but we decided to have our wedding down in the middle of nowwhere down in West Cork. Final plans are not set in concrete yet, but the chapel is in Gougane Barra, and the reception will either be just accross the way from the Church, or else in Kenmare Kerry!! I know it will be a bit of a trek for everyone, but it is such a beautiful part of the country and like you, the abroad option didn't work out for us. I think it will well worth the trip though! Best of luck and keep us posted! Mamakat
abouttimebride Posts: 368
Was thinking about abroad also and also thinking about a different part of the country to where we are from. Would definately involve one if not 2 nights away. If its what ye really want go for it.
MissMuppet Posts: 2085
[color=indigo:1aszy5j4]Us too MamaKat, :o)ll We are from the midlands and plan to marry in West Cork...Gougane Barra Church and either a hotel in Bantry or Kenmare!! Its really the church that is bringing us down there..We have just fallen in love with it and the scenery is so beautiful... Go for it if its what you both really want...[/color:1aszy5j4]
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
im livin in meath but getting married in Waterford, Im from there so its not too different, but livin in meath over 5 yrs now and hubby to be is from here and all is family, aunts and uncles all live close but I just want to get married in my home town church
yankiecandle Posts: 2888
im from donegal but live in drogheda. So half our guest will be travelling to letterkenny & staying 2 nites in hotel.
kookiegal Posts: 1150
*)
Culchiequeen Posts: 49
[quote="Bree Lee":uj4dilp3][color=indigo:uj4dilp3]Us too MamaKat, :o)ll We are from the midlands and plan to marry in West Cork...Gougane Barra Church and either a hotel in Bantry or Kenmare!! Its really the church that is bringing us down there..We have just fallen in love with it and the scenery is so beautiful... Go for it if its what you both really want...[/color:uj4dilp3][/quote:uj4dilp3] OMG, Gougane is really fab isnt it!! I have to admit it's one of the most stunning places I have ever been to! Magical!