anyone going on sun holiday now that you are pregnant??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

caoimh Posts: 479
just wondering are any of you pregnant ladies going on a sun holiday now that you are pregnant?? this is my first baby and i was wondering would it be safe to go while in second trimester to somewhere with a short flight like the Algarve?? however if a i thought it could harm my baby by flying or whether its a bad idea to be in too much sun while pregnant i would most certainly go for a break in Ireland instead?? this is my first baby so i haven't a clue!!!
Mama2 Posts: 1230
I went on to Lanzarote at 12 weeks and it was the best thing I could have done. I loved it and it was so relaxing. I 'd highly recommend it. I'd love to get another short break before the baby comes in August.
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
I am heading to Tenerife in July and at four months hope to be in good form to really enjoy the hol. First time around went away at 10 weeks and really enjoyed the break - that was the Algarve and the flight was perfect! I did stay in the shade more than normal but the heat was not too bad.
honeybunch Posts: 1218
I'm going on a weeks holiday when I'm about 6 months. Can't wait! I think it's just the last month that they advise against and the airline prob won't take you then anyway.
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I went from 20-22 weeks pregnant to Majorca, it was the best holiday ever. the first one were I was not worried what my swimsuit looked like on, I pushed my pregnant belly out with pride. The first few nights I found not having alcohol hard because cocktails were 2 for €6, where non alcoholc cocktails were 2 for €8 O:| I got sick once away & it was from a dodgy tomato from our fridge. Baby was fine. Go for it you will really enjoy it & it will be your last holiday as just husband & wife cause soon enough you will have your lo. :wv
sunsparks Posts: 2196
I'm just back from a trip to Sydney/Thailand (cleared by the gynae) and am 20+ weeks. I can seriously recommend the break - often you don't realise how much you need the break until after the holiday and as others have said, it's so nice to have the time just you and your other half. The not drinking thing can be difficult, and make sure your DH knows that you are likely to be flaked in the evenings (I just wanted bed after dinner every night - and relished that extra sleep). Also, I normally love the heat and found I couldn't handle it well at all. Found I was melting the whole time - poor DH spent his time moving parasols so I'd be IN the shade (a lot different to normal). In Bangkok, I couldn't handle walking around in the heat at all so I suggest you don't plan walking trips/city breaks in the heat. I also burned quicker (jumped in the pool one day to cool down and got myself scorched without realising. I wore tankinis to prevent the bump from getting sun. Sorry if this sounds negative - it's actually meant to be the opposite! I loved the holiday and would heartily recommend it. Just make sure you're prepared for it to be different to normal.
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
That's good to know! I'm hoping to get a week away around 20 weeks. Might be the last chance we get for a while!!
Maybump Posts: 527
I went on a shopping trip to new york at 18 weeks. It was good but a bit tiring as we did a lot of shopping but a relaxing sun holiday sounds like a great idea. I would just say don't go too far as the flight can be a bit uncomfortable. [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:1vzt7ldh]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;18;96/st/20090426/dt/4/k/6d1a/preg.png[/img:1vzt7ldh] [/url]
sunsparks Posts: 2196
PS: I did forget to note that the flights were HELL! Mind, the flight to Sydney is about as long as it gets. Get some good flight socks (Scholl worked best for me and they're a godsend as your feet/legs really do swell on the plane), book an aisle seat well in advance (ideally check in online in advance - this will allow you to select your seat. Aisle seats are a must so you can walk about, which you should do at least once every two hours). Pack a light check in bag - include some hand cream (my hands dried out so much), a facial spray to cool you down if the flight is long (under 100ml!) and if you need it, a nice travel pillow (discovered mine didn't work after we boarded our flight!). I also brought a facial moisturiser on board as well.
caoimh Posts: 479
thanks girls, im going to start packing my bags so!!!!