Anyone going or have gone private with bupa???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby4me Posts: 455
hi girls im gonig private with bupa & paying my consultant 2600 which i can claim 500 bk through bupa!! when i spoke to bupa they said you are covered for 3 nights stay. But i was wondering what happens if you go in on day 1 (evening time) in labour and dont have baby till day 2 ( night time) (i know long labour) but does that mean you only be in for 2 nights that is night baby born and following night cause you used a night up in labour?????????? what happens if they dont want to discharge you??? do you have to pay the extra nights yourself?????? ps im gonig to CUMH Any advise welcome thanks :xox
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
If for medical reasons you are kept in you are covered but if it's not medical they won't cover you.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Hi, I'm going private with Bupa too. I can't answer your question though - the thought never occured to me. I stupidly assumed that your 3 nights stay would commence when you had the baby :-8 But that's just daft now that I think about it. I'll give them a ring tomo and find out what the story is. I think the way you have it is right. Your 3 nights start from teh first day you are admitted to hosp. I reckon you'll have to pay for extra nights yourself. Another cost I hadn't considered. Let's hope we don't have long labours.
Perci Posts: 3847
Would you not be in the labour/delivery ward before you have the baby so there would be no difference between private/public at that stage? I assumed it was only when you were given the private room that the health insurance would be required. I'm with VHI but I know that I'll be in longer than 3 days after my c-section and it's fully covered for as long as I need to be in (not deemed as maternity cover but general hospital stay).
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
sections are covered as it's an operation and you are entitlted to 5 day stay but if medically they can't discharge you then VHI/BUPA will cover you. If your stay is longer than 3 nights and you didn't have a section you need to get a letter from your gyne to say reason you had to stay in was medical. The way it was explained to me is, if your baby has to stay in but your allowed to go home but you say I want to say to then your not covered but if you gyne writes a letter saying you need to stay because you have infection then you are covered. HTH
Sassy Posts: 2269
Its 3 nights stay that they cover. If you have your baby before 12 midnight that is considered your first night. If you have the baby after 12 midnight (say 1am) then the follow night is considered your first night. This is how it was explained to me by the accouts dept in Holles Street.