anyone have a kidney/urinary tract infecion while pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rock-n-roll-wife Posts: 6579
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i think i might have one is it really bad? got up this morning, dying to pee, TMI but when i 'released' the urine i got a very very intense dull almost stabbing pain from within, a vertical pain in the very middle of my body, maybe nearer to my back, but from about my belly button right down, the pain was so intense i had to stop mid flow, and when i released again, same thing, it was slightly sore for about 15 mins after too. didnt pee again all day til about 8pm but when i did it was grand, no pain, then whilst washing my hands, i got the pain again! lasted about 30 seconds, then went.. now its grand, but if i sit right back in a chair or lean backwards im gettng a dull ache around where my kidneys would be, i HATE self diagnosing, bu went to look it up online and most medical websites i looked at said you're more susceptible to kidney/urinary tract infections when pregnant and you should see a practitioner asap as it can cause premature labour, i tried ringing the rotunda earlier to see what they would advise but no answer (as usual) i have my first hospital appointment on thursday, and was going to go to my gp either on tuesday too. hubby says if its no better tomorrow hes taking me to the rotunda to get checked, would that be the right place to go or would they just tell me to see my gp? why do these things always happen on weekends when your gp isnt available? xx a very worried r-n-r xx
ginger nut Posts: 5989
gp r'n'r - if you can't wait till monday get in touch with deputising service and get it checked out. fluids, cranberry juice, wee regularly
:thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk
silíní Posts: 4219
I had loads of these when pregnant. had to take antibiotics about 5 times. It's important to get it treated.
Dootsay Posts: 958
Yes, definitely see someone about this. I've just finished anti-biotics for this and I'm ploughing the cranberry juice in to me too. Hope you feel better soon *)
Baby bop Posts: 662
RnR i had a few urine infections through out this pregnancy. The best thing that helped me was plenty of barley water worked wonders.
bride. Posts: 3014
Do go to a gp tomorrow, don't leave it til Tuesday. When uti's take hold it can be very serious. I ended up with blood poisoning from one a few years ago. I had a kidney infection at the beginning of my pregnancy and was prescribed pregnancy safe antibiotics to clear it up. Can't believe you could go that long without peeing! I can't go 30mins.. It sounds like cystitis the stinging, knife like pain when you pee. Look after yourself.
Sassy Posts: 2269
I would make sure you go to gp tomorrow. Its better to get them treated as soon as possible. I had two bladder infections and ended up on antibiotics with the infection.
Dora the explorer Posts: 1570
poor you! How did it go with the Doc?
my gp works between 2 surgeries and isnt in my one til tomorrow, i'm ok.. drinking tons of cranberry juice, though its giving me awful heartburn, going to see him first thing tomorrow am. xx