Anyone have this problem re families?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittenheart Posts: 1488
Hi all, Mine is a rather odd question. My mother has invited loads of her friends to the wedding, also there would be friends of my late fathers and grandmothers that will be asked, people that generally meant a lot to us through the years. The problem is that it runs to about 50 people which we are fine about. The only thing is that FMIL has asked people as well but her total comes to about 10 people. I kind of feel guilty about it but sure what can I do as my mam says "Tisn't your fault they've no friends" :o0 :o0 :o0 . I know that sounds really bad but FMIL and my mam kind of grate on each others nerves and my mam just suffers her because shes the FMIL. Mam isn't even going on the hen night cos then FMIL would go and FSIL's wouldn't have any comfort for the night as she would be watching them each time they went to the bar etc. telling them they'd had enough. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation where one side of the family had loads of friends going and the other didn't?
bumble Posts: 1980
Well we are keeping our numbers small. Which is ok as have quite small families. Unfortunately all Mams siblings live in USA and Australia and so I allowed her to bring 4 friends that i also know (would have been as close to Aunts to us when growing up as mams were all abroad and dad an only child). Now however FMIL has UNINVITED all her siblings as they can't invite her to their kids weddings as their kids have told them numbers too tight. So to avoid embarrassment on all sides FMIL said they'd rather not be invited as they can't return the invitation! :eek So now i feel really bad that my mother is bringing friends and FMIL not even bringing her siblings! FFIL is bringing his siblings though. But sure FMIL and my own mother are happy with the situation so hopefully it'll all go ok!! Am still a bit worried that FMIL might feel a bit put out on the day when she realises mam has some pals there and she doesn't!! Bloody families! :o0
kittenheart Posts: 1488
I know they would drive you insane. My FMIL is totally dismissing the wedding at the moment it's all like "Oh what are ye going to do when the wedding is over, ye'll have nothing to talk about". She thinks that everything will just fall into place. It will as long as I have all the arrangements in place. She annoys me sometimes, and when you go and ask her for her final numbers she gets in a panic saying "oh it's so close now". you can never win O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|
Little Angel Posts: 913
yep, we had this at the brothers wedding as my parents and well involved in the community and asked loads of people, however the groom and bride asked her parents if there was anyone else they would like to ask as they would send invites no probs and when they did that and did a check list of everyone the brides parents wanted to ask, they could do no more and everything was perfect.
Little Angel Posts: 913
yep, we had this at the brothers wedding as my parents are well involved in the community and asked loads of people, however the groom and bride asked her parents if there was anyone else they would like to ask as they would send invites no probs and when they did that and did a check list of everyone the brides parents wanted to ask, they could do no more and everything was perfect.