anyone heard of gas meters (pre-pay)?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fantazmic Posts: 545
just wondering. we have been paying a set amount monthly wether its winter or summer and have managed to put an excess in our account of over 300 euro. we are now considering installing a pay as you go card meter which would cost around the 300 plus mark. i'm a bit sceptical but my husband thinks it wil be great as we will know exactly what we are spending on gas and might be more controlled in our usage. i'm just concerned that if you put lets say 20 euro on it it will fly out and then we'll be stuck unable to turn on the heating. if i knew it would last a while then i suppose its probably a good idea. anyone have one or know about them? are the cards easy enough to get, can you get them in the likes of your local centra?
theoracle Posts: 7664
They would be quite common in Uk as they are a great way of ensuring that tenants pay their gas and electricity as they use it so there is no wrestling with bills after. Because they are so popular the cards are widely available in local newsagenst etc, but I must say I am completely clueless what the story is here, as we live rurally and don't even have access to a gas network! But hopefully somebody else will reply :)
soulful Posts: 1697
oops double post sorry :-8
Hi. Yes my husband and I decided after getting a huge bill that we would get a prepay meter installed and it's the best thing we ever did! It cost €150 to install and you get a card that you top up and we use centra for it. If you run out of gas then you just go out to the meter, put the top up card in and it will give you the option of €5 emergency credit so you won't be stuck and you just top up when you can get to the shop. It is very economical, €20 worth on the card lasts about 4 days. We always have hot water and house is lovely and warm as we have a young boy and a baby girl. There is no fee for topping up either and it is so easy to use. When you are topping up they take a small percentage out of each top up to go towards the payment of your bill, so you never see a bill coming in the door. I really cannot recommend it enough! We are with Bord Gais O:o)
fantazmic Posts: 545
:thnk thanks a mill astro girl, is the meter outside...brrrrr? do you notice if you put on the heating or hob or gas fire that your meter starts dropping suddenly. does it make you more economical with its use? in other words do you think about it more instead of just havin the heating set on timer all the time? do you think you spend any less on gas bill now or is it just an easier way to pay? sorry bout all the questions :-8
teapotty Posts: 2085
[quote="astrogirl":1nqj0jed]It is very economical, €20 worth on the card lasts about 4 days [/quote:1nqj0jed] To me that seems very expensive- if you compare that to bi-monthly bill (60 days) that would be €300 :eek That seems like a lot, no? Then again I have no idea what your specific usage is so maybe it's nothing to do with the price. We only put our heating on for around 2 hours a day so the bills are always low.
[quote="fantazmic":2hb16wnx]:thnk thanks a mill astro girl, is the meter outside...brrrrr? do you notice if you put on the heating or hob or gas fire that your meter starts dropping suddenly. does it make you more economical with its use? in other words do you think about it more instead of just havin the heating set on timer all the time? do you think you spend any less on gas bill now or is it just an easier way to pay? sorry bout all the questions :-8[/quote:2hb16wnx] No problem yes the meter is outside at the side of our house in a meter box. Haven't noticed the meter dropping suddenly with heating or hob and don't have a gas fire installed as I've never watched it but of course it's going to drop as you are using gas. Yes it does make it more economical because you know exactly what you are spending. Yes you would think about it more, you are more aware of what you are spending which is a good thing in my opinion - to be more conscious of cost. I think overall we spend less since getting the meter installed, our bills were just escalating and now we have a handle on them and I feel better about having the meter. It's a much easier way to pay because there is no bills coming in every month and a portion of what you put into the card each time is taken out and put towards your current bill and any arrears you may have (which we had - €380. :o)ll
[quote="teapotty":1ybewmlc][quote="astrogirl":1ybewmlc]It is very economical, €20 worth on the card lasts about 4 days [/quote:1ybewmlc] To me that seems very expensive- if you compare that to bi-monthly bill (60 days) that would be €300 :eek That seems like a lot, no? Then again I have no idea what your specific usage is so maybe it's nothing to do with the price. We only put our heating on for around 2 hours a day so the bills are always low.[/quote:1ybewmlc] Hi that is just in the very cold weather though that we've been having and with having a small baby too and needing more hot water and heating. In the summer you can half that amount sometimes even less so it is very economical. O:o)
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="teapotty":181d2fll][quote="astrogirl":181d2fll]It is very economical, €20 worth on the card lasts about 4 days [/quote:181d2fll] To me that seems very expensive- if you compare that to bi-monthly bill (60 days) that would be €300 :eek That seems like a lot, no? Then again I have no idea what your specific usage is so maybe it's nothing to do with the price. We only put our heating on for around 2 hours a day so the bills are always low.[/quote:181d2fll] €20 might sound expensive but this is for ESB & Gas Heating, so not really IMO, especially because I would imagine they would have the heat going a good bit with their being a small child and baby in the house - you have to have the house toasty for them!
wwwife Posts: 948
I have one would never go back to bill- I was on a bill in my last house nightmare. Yeah I buy 20euro and that lasts 2 weeks and I use it alot.