Anyone here NOT entitled to Maternity Benefit?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

OAT Posts: 2207
Hi Apparantly I'm not entitled to the Maternity Benefit as I didn't contribute enough prsi in 2008, and was wondering if there's anyone else here not entitled to it? And if so is there any other benefits available or are we expected to live on thin air due to circumstances beyond our control 2 years ago??? O:| O:| O:|
marriedLife Posts: 1881
So sorry to hear about this - all I can recommend is ring Citizen's Advice - they are normally really helpful and they will tell you if you are entitled to anything - best of luck
wifin Posts: 4761
Me too :o( I went to do a postgrad so only went back to work in June of 2008 when I finished uni. I am 11 contributions short of making maternity benefit.
thenextstage Posts: 51
I'm more confused about the maternity benefit prsi payments. Every seems to say you have to have paid full prsi in 2008 if your looking for benefit in 2010. But according to the citizensinformation.ie site, it says: [color=#0040BF:daiugx6s]If you are employed you must have: [color=#BF0000]At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave Or At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year following that is 2009. [/color:daiugx6s]Or At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year before that is 2007. [/color] So doesn't that mean that if your a full 12 months before the date you'll be starting maternity leave, eg I hope to be starting it in November 2010, and I've worked full time from Novemmber 2009 to November 2010, then I'll qualify? But then if I don't have that, it would check your 2008 dates? Or am I reading it all wrongly? I don't have the full 2008 prsi payments, but I do from 2009 onwards. So from how I'm interpreting it, I will be paid.
shiny2010 Posts: 975
girls ... don't forget to apply for the PRSI contributions to be input after birth of your babies. Otherwise you'll have a gap again ... and could be a problem for the next baby. here's a good thread: viewtopic.php?t=186995 actually that one needs to be a sticky, it so important. Also, there are schemes which allow people to take time off and still get their contributions paid for, e.g. "If you are taking time off work to care for children (under age 12) or an incapacitated adult or child aged 12 or over, the Homemaker's Scheme may be a better option. Under this scheme, we may disregard years spent caring when we work out your entitlement to State Pension (Contributory). For further information please contact: Homemaker's Section Social Welfare Services Office Gandon House, Amiens Street, Dublin 1. Telephone: Dublin (01) 704 3299" So there might be something ye can use to help. Definitely get in touch with Citizen's Advice.
raglan Posts: 83
Hi, I'd definitely ring Maternity Benefit section as I think on another pregnancy forum someone had a similar problem and they were able to take contributions from 2 years to have the required amount. I have the relevant contributions needed from 2008 but haven't had much work since start of 2009 and unless I get some work in the 16 weeks before due date, will not be able to get maternity benefit which is so sickening as have worked for years before this. Its going to be a precious time and don't want to be worrying about money as well.
Thanks thenextstep for that info. I just spoke to maternity benefit and I have 25 contributions not 26 in 2007 as I left work in June to get married, go on honeymoon and prepare for going back to uni in August. I am sickened. :o(
raglan Posts: 83
Hi Wifin, Is there any way that they'll allow you to pay the difference of that missing one contribution to allow you to get MB? I'm clutching at straws here but that is just unreal.
shiny2010 Posts: 975
there is something called "voluntary contributions" ... I wonder if that could help
[quote="raglan":5dkztpyw]Hi Wifin, Is there any way that they'll allow you to pay the difference of that missing one contribution to allow you to get MB? I'm clutching at straws here but that is just unreal.[/quote:5dkztpyw] I asked is there anyway around this and I just got 'no, nothing, sorry'. :o( OAT, I'm so sorry for hogging your thread.