Anyone know the outcome to baby if you get swine flu?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blondiechick Posts: 1641
Girls, I am getting a little worried. I am a chronic asthmatic aswell as being 9.5 weeks pregnant....so I am in 2 'at risk' categories. I pick up every cold and flu going and am even on antibiotics too at the moment (in addition to my daily doses of inhalers and tablets). In the event that a pregnant women gets swine flu, what happens to the baby?? As in, what are the effects on the baby?? Is it a given that if you get the medication quickly enough your baby is ok? I have read scary things on the internet about swine flu causing brain damage in unborn babies, it has me worried.
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
I was speaking to someone in the HSE about this at the weekend. At the moment, if a "normal" person gets the swine flu, they are advised to be treated at home, plenty of fluids, bed rest and paracetamol. If a pregnant woman gets it, they are automatically treated with a different drug to Tamiflu (can't remember the name) - it's a vapourised drug, so inhaled into the lungs. It doesn't cross the placenta so no risk to baby. The risk with the flu to an unborn baby is the high temperature that comes with the flu, so that's why they treat pregnant women straight away with it. The cough / aches / sore throat won't affect baby, only the temperature. HTH!
Marpat Posts: 1784
hopingforsoon - that's exactly the advice I heard the master of the rotunda on the radio giving a couple of weeks ago. He was saying a high temperature, whether flu related or not, can be serious for the baby and as paracetemol is completely safe that keeping the temperature controlled with paracetemol is the best way forward. he also mentioned Relenza which is like an inhaler and will be used to relieve symptoms.
The only problem with me being asthmatic and pregnant is 1. Can't take Tamiflu if pregnant 2. Can't take Relenza if asthmatic So what am I supposed to do if I get it?? I'm really getting worried. Also read that swine flu is different from normal seasonal flu as it DOES cross the placenta...normal seasonal flu doesn't. Babies have been born with swine flu in other countries and I read that if you get it in the 1st 6 months of pregnancy, there's a risk of brain damage to the baby. It is seriously worrying. :eek :eek :eek
Yummum2012 Posts: 122
firstly great to see you are 9.5 weeks !!!! We are all worried about swine flu and I can see how u would be extra worried being an asthmatic. All you can do is try and eat and keep yourself as healthy as possible and use a hand sanitiser after every bathroom visit etc. Try not to stress yourself too much as stress isnt good for you or the baby either. Take care
Marpat Posts: 1784
Blondie - I have to say I'm a bit worried too but the only thing I'm doing differently now is using hand sanitizer all the time. Entering and leaving child's creche, all visitors to my office will be asked to use it and have it at home. From what I read handwashing can be very effective in stopping the spread to an extent. fingers crossed any of us that are unlucky enough to catch this flu, we will be fine with plenty of fluids, bed rest and panadol. Best wishes m
Thanks Hope2009! Pregnancy just seems to bring one worry after another! Yes I am sanitising my hands all the time after bathroom, before I eat etc. I am just scared coz I pick up every bug going...my immune system is really low at the best of times. The HSE has not addressed any issues regarding women who are both asthmatic AND pregnant...it seems I can take no anti-viral drug out there if I get it! :eek Also, have to fly to UK to a wedding next weekend....I'm frightened getting on the plane with the re-circulated air.
Babystar Posts: 195
blondie_chick - I know its hard not too worry, but as far as I am aware they will give Tamiflu to pregnant people. The Relenza is slightly preferred, but Tamiflu is ok too if you can't take Relenza. They say to go to the doc as soon as you feel ill and they'll be able to prescribe the best thing. In most cases the baby will be absolutely fine, so don't worry. Also they'll probably be giving out the vaccine in the autumn and you'll be top of the list!
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
[quote="Blondie_Chick":91o0ic4w]The only problem with me being asthmatic and pregnant is 1. Can't take Tamiflu if pregnant 2. Can't take Relenza if asthmatic So what am I supposed to do if I get it?? I'm really getting worried. Also read that swine flu is different from normal seasonal flu as it DOES cross the placenta...normal seasonal flu doesn't. Babies have been born with swine flu in other countries and I read that if you get it in the 1st 6 months of pregnancy, there's a risk of brain damage to the baby. It is seriously worrying. :eek :eek :eek[/quote:91o0ic4w] I think at the moment, there are so many conflicting reports going around about the swine flu that it's hard to know what to believe. It's not around long enough to be able to say if you get swine flu, it can cause brain damage to your baby ... it's more than likely the side effect of a high temperature that would cause this damage to the baby, which is why it's so vital to keep your temp down at all times, that's why they treat pregnant women straight away. Firstly, you just need to stay calm about it ... speak to your doctor about treatment options with the added complications of pregnancy and asthma. Then after that, take sensible precautions ... avoid crowded locations, like travelling on trains / buses / planes. Ask your hubby to use alcohol gel when he gets home straight away, to avoid any bugs being carried into the house. I was listening to an expert yesterday on Matt Cooper, and when he was asked about things like diet, vitamins etc, he didn't seem to think that it will prove any more effective in us not getting the flu, but it certainly won't do us any harm. He seemed more in favour of everyone being more vigilant about coughing and sneezing, disposing of tissues straight away, washing their hands often.
survivor Posts: 2507
I rang the HSE Public Health department this morning about this. The doctor I was speaking to told me that pregnant women have already had swine flu in Ireland and are all now fine. They either got over it with paracetamol or were given Tamiflu. I asked about Relensa and she said the Irish Obstetrics Board and the British Board have both said Tamiflu is safe for pregnant women. She was very reassuring and calming. HTH