Anyone lived abroad then moved home

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ChloeOct06 Posts: 1466
Have been in London for 5 years now, and just got married Hubby and i have always said we'd move 'home' to Cork (he's not Irish but refers to Cork that way) in a bout 3 years, but we've been saying in 3 years for the last 3 years. Is there ever a right time? How did you find the move? Finding jobs etc Am i dreaming to think it's nicer to live in Cork than London ie.. my friends who are at home seem to get home at a reasonable time and have a nice home and a nice life. Us, we're up at 6.00am, home at 9.00pm at earliest.
Noreen @ Clifford Designs Posts: 49
you are not dreaming - but it will take about a year or more to fully feel at home.... Definitely worth it though especially if your family are here
HisWife Posts: 314
Hi Chloe, Can't comment on life in Cork, but I would imagine it's pretty much the same as Dublin in the City. God your day is long, you poor things. I'm sure it wouldn't take that long to get to work and home in Cork. I know lots of people who commute to Dublin every day for Kildare, Meath etc and although they might leave early to beat the traffic :o)ll they usually are home for 7 or half. I'm sure it will be a big change for you after being in London for so long but am sure you are aware of how much more fun and cosmopolitan our cities are, with plenty of shops, restaurants etc. I agree that it's never the right time for such a move, but maybe investigate the factors such as house prices etc myhome.ie is a good website to get started in that regard. And just think you'll be able to attend the famous WOL get togethers.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Chloe, I'll pm you
Redfraggleathome Posts: 159
My sisters both moved home - the first thing to do is look for a job if your work is "Specialized" and if you want to move to Cork only, there is no point moving home and be stuck looking for a job for ages. That's the way to get the ball rolling. Another thing to remember though is Ireland is not the compter free either, be prepared for that. Talk to your friends about their working life etc so that you are not looking at things with Rose tinted glasses. My family moved from London also, so weigh up and be prepared about what you are going to lose - the shops, the nightlife, great resturants on tap, transport system etc etc. Sounds like ye have made the decision its just time to put it into action - Best of luck with the move!
Poppit Posts: 2042
I lived in leeds and london for a total of nearly 6 years. I loved it over there and due to tragic circumstances had to move home. It took a while to get used to, but to be honest, i love it here now and am so glad i moved home. It's such a relaxed way of life over here. Looking back, it was a rat-race in london. I worked hard, up early in morn, home late at night and never saved a penny. Here, i have made some fantastic friends, met, fell in love with and married my DH, set up a business and hopefully plan to build house. SO for me there was life after london. But everybody is different.
Mrs Princess Sparkle Posts: 3854
Am living abroad at the moment and can't wait to move home again to Cork. I miss it so much. I really think the quality of life is so much better in Irl., but it's the people I miss most. We're so much friendlier than so many other nationalities. You should go for it if ye can sort out the job situation
[quote="aedin":28ufrqtj]Am living abroad at the moment and can't wait to move home again to Cork. I miss it so much. I really think the quality of life is so much better in Irl., but it's the people I miss most. We're so much friendlier than so many other nationalities. You should go for it if ye can sort out the job situation[/quote:28ufrqtj] I have to agree.... your roots call in the end I think too
ChloeOct06 Posts: 1466
God ye all have me wanting to move home straight. Poor hubby won't know what hit him, i'll be packing boxes when he gets home tonight Seriously i need to start looking for a job. Where do you start? Any websites you can recommend?
there's more.... but that's the one that springs to mind !