Anyone making their own cake?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happyengagedgirl Posts: 66
Just wondering if there are websites for the flowers you see on the cakes. My family & I are going to have a bash at the cake, but I'm a bit unsure about how we will decorate Thanks wollies! :thnk
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
My sisters are having a go at making my cake and they do those little sugared flowers on http://www.cakebox.ie/ so that's where I am going to look.
frillynickers Posts: 1765
I was going to do the same but change my mind, making the cake was the easy part, trying to decorate it it was a nightmare. So we are going to get the cake made and also get H2B's mam to make one of the tiers (fruit cake) and get the cake company (have to pick one) to ice the cake.
Wifelet Posts: 294
I'm going to give it a go. You can buy the sugar paste flowers or just use fresh flowers to decorate the cake. The tricky bit is the icing. You can buy the roll out icing and amond paste. I gave it a couple of trys over Christmas, practicing on a upsidedown biscuit tin and it turned out really well. You can get illustrations in books about how to do it but I found that the demonstrations on youtube are even easier to follow: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... q=icing+a+
happyengagedgirl Posts: 66
Brilliant girls, thanks so much! That lady in the demo makes it look so easy.... its great to see how its done on video alright....
Wifelet Posts: 294
I had the on pause allot....while I fixed some, ehem, minor problems :-8
stephyb Posts: 1439
lol i'm making individual big American style chocolate muffins! saving a fortune and i can get most of what i need from tescos!
shellbell Posts: 440
Girls I don't want to upset anyone but might be worth double checking with your hotels about bringing in your own cake - most will be grand I'm sure but I've heard of hotels refusing to serve cakes that haven't come from a HACCAP kitchen? Might be way off here but no harm in checking Good luck with the cakes, I'd love to be talented enough to attempt it :thnk
angel1978 Posts: 1154
I think hotels are fine as long as its not fresh cream because it has to be refrigerated and they cant be sure if its fresh or not so wont take the chance. But all other cakes are fine as far as i know.
moyra-smyth Posts: 511
my mam is making ours. Not too worried about the icing...not looking for it to be perfect or anything we're just going to slap it on and throw a few decorations around it! :o0