Menu

Anyone not wearing a traditional type dress?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mad Mod Posts: 1079
If so, what sort of reaction are you getting/did you get to your dress? I'm planning on wearing a dress that belonged to my mother. It's blue velvet. I love it. Have been saving it for years for a special occasion! :lvs
:o)ll
MrsAmy Posts: 983
Nope...mine's pretty traditional... we're doing quite a few "untraditional" things though and getting heaps of criticism for it though, so do beware and if you don't have a thick skin, you better get one quick!! A friend of mine is planning on wearing a black lace dress for her wedding though...doing a medievel/gothic type theme, as that's what they're big into...apparently everyone is calling her crazy!! Each to their own! Blue velvet sounds lovely - very plush!
sarahstrikes Posts: 214
I really wanted to wear a non traditional style dress (still white) but more unusual than a traditional one. Turns out that this is really hard to find as shops don't stock anything too far from the norm and look at u like you've two heads if you ask for it. I loved the dress with the black die at base of it on the irish don't tell the bride, for me it was the nicest dress of the series. Ended up getting a white dress with a floral burnout fabric and waistlinr which I've never seen before and I'm going to add my own bits and Pieces to make it more individual. If you feel fantastic and stunning in this dress then wear it. If you feel great you will look great and no-one will knock you for that. Be true to yourself and don't mind anyone else. HTH
Thanks for the replies. I am making a few changes my the dress too. I think what I'm most afraid of is that I'll regret not wearing the big white gown. It's not like there are many opportunities in life to get away with an outfit like that!
MrsAmy Posts: 983
I think, personally, I'd regret not wearing one... BUT, is there anyway you could wear a white dress to the ceremony and change into your blue velvet for the reception??
Danswer Posts: 16
IM getting married in a civil cermony and def am not waering a tradition dress. I tried on a gorgeous red one so will either go with that or get a similar one made. White/ivory really doesnt suit me anyway. Im sure people wont like my dress or will be shocked - i couldnt care less :o0 we are doing things our way, we will of course be really looking after our guests but things like the dress, his suit etc we will pleasing ourselves!!
I do love my outfit. I have a fabulous hat to match on order. I know I'm happy with the outfit. I can't imagine myself in a traditional wedding dress. I know I wouldn't be comfortable in it. I don't think I'll have any regrets. I hope not anyways! I'd love to hear a newly weds experience. :o)ll
nelle Posts: 552
I'm actually wearing a trad dress but a few years ago a neighbour of mine got married and wore a beautiful red and green medieval style velvet dress. It was truly beautiful. I've been to lots of weddings and hers is one of only a few of the dresses that I actually properly remember. Everyone said that it suited her down to the ground. And it was especially nice as it was a Christmas wedding with lots of candles and red roses decorating the church and the hotel. :lvs I truly think you should go with your gut on this one. And make no apologies to anyone. It's your day - wear what you feel comfortable and beautiful in. :wv