Anyone suffer with Snapping Hip syndrome?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

vdunne1 Posts: 62
Just wondering if anyone else out there is having problems with this?
oddwire Posts: 842
Not sure, do you mean when you have a constant 'snapping' sound in your hip doing exercise or anyhting? If so, I've had this the last few years, can get quite painful (and irritating). Tried lots of different exercises to try and improve it but they were all only short term measures. Anyway, when I found out I was pregnant last Sept I decided I needed to get it sorted for once and for all so asked my doctor and he recommended physio. It only took 3 sessions and me doing exercises myself at home for it to be fully sorted now, no problems with it anymore.
Yes thats it i've had it about 3 years & it gets really painfull on and off have been at physio and it seems to be getting worse (pain in groin etc)Have to go back to ortho surgeon next month & see what he thinks!
Oh poor you, that sounds really bad. Mine was going into groin too by the time I got it sorted - couldn't get up out of a chair or anything. My physio did a thing to me that sounds (and looks) really weird that seemed to help a lot. Basically, he put a strap around his own body, then around my leg, with my knee bent, he was standing at my side, and used his full body weight to pull my leg over the hip joint a few times. Seemed to really loosen it out and encourage the joint to work properly. He said that this was the quickest way he knew of to sort out this problem. Did you get something similar done? He also said that I should have been on anti-inflammatories but couldn't give them to me due to the pregnancy.
They gave me (something like a large elastic band) to tie around my ankle and table and extend leg out. I just found i got sorer after this. I find when i am walking slow its aching (my groin) but if i go for a walk for about half hour i have no pain at all when walking (really weird). Orthopaedic Doc mentioned something about having surgery as the illiotibial band is too tight that's the muscle that runs from buttock to knee. He said only as a last resort would he do this as it's very rare. I really do not want to have surgery at all. Did you have pain in or under the cheek of your bottom when walking?
Not really, with me it seemed kind of ok when I was doing something, it was when I stopped that it seemed to seize up. So if I was sitting watching tv in the evening I would find it really hard to get up and walking, or if I was driving or something. It generally got a lot worse for me during summer months as I wasn't going to regular exercise classes - doing exercise seemed to build up the other muscles around the area and keep it all a bit stronger. The physio told me that I had a distressed hip joint and really lax muscle in the area - either one could be the cause of the other and it was too far gone to tell which came first. Even though I do a lot of strength exercises and thought I had good muscle tone in that part, I had no muscle in the bad side compared to the good - he had to show me this by grabbing each cheek of my a*se in turn and showing how flabby the left one is compared to the right!! So for exercising from then on I really focussed on the left side to build up the strength around the joint in that area.
I am the very same eg sitting in the car/watching tv etc i get really stiff. The rt cheek of my a**se is really week when i clench the muscles my leg starts to shake. I really hope they come up with something that will help on my next visit. I will just have to keep up the walking!