Anyone take voluntary redundancy?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Princess09 Posts: 821
I'm kind of hoping my employer offers this, am I MAD? Would like to take it and go travelling until the recession is over. Just need to figure out what I would do with mortgage for 12 mths plus!! As I don't really live in an area where I could rent out my house. Anyway did any of you take it and what do you think about it now? Any regrets?
tlove Posts: 572
I took it a number of years back but if it was offered to me now there is no way I would. I only took it then cause I was leaving anyway and didnt want any of the others (2) to have to worry. I left within the 2 years so didnt get a pay out. The recession is going to be here for the next few years can you afford to head off for a long period. Where is your house Ive rented in the country before and know a number of people who currently do.
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
I've just accepted it. Have worked in the company for a long time so the pay out is pretty good. I'm studying part time so am going to concentrate on that for the meantime. I'm hoping to get a few hours work locally to top up my dole and survive on that (plus my redundancy package) for the next couple of years. I'm nervous but delighted at the same time!
newkid30 Posts: 2233
[quote="Mrs Mia Wallace":1g7371he]I've just accepted it. Have worked in the company for a long time so the pay out is pretty good. I'm studying part time so am going to concentrate on that for the meantime. I'm hoping to get a few hours work locally to top up my dole and survive on that (plus my redundancy package) for the next couple of years. I'm nervous but delighted at the same time![/quote:1g7371he] So you get to sit at home studying parttime, working parttime illegally and getting the dole and my tax is paying for it, Jesus that makes my blood boil!
curliwurli Posts: 3369
but can't you work part time and get part of the weekly dole amount for the other days? she never said she would be working cash in hand to screw the system, no need to jump the gun.
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
[quote="newkid30":v7fb8ulz]So you get to sit at home studying parttime, working parttime illegally and getting the dole and my tax is paying for it, Jesus that makes my blood boil![/quote:v7fb8ulz] You can un-twirl your knickers there love. I will be working part time, I never said illegally. I fully intend to delcare the hours I am working and pay whatever taxes. I am entitled to work a certain amount of hours and claim social welfare for the hours that I don't work. I will be studying part time as well which I am paying for myself. I have paid tax myself for the past 15 years and am not the type to 'screw' the system. People like you who jump the gun without knowing the facts make [b:v7fb8ulz]my[/b:v7fb8ulz] blood boil!
Princess09 Posts: 821
Yeah I no exactly what you mean, nervous & excited at same time! Oh house is in a tiny village, with only a petrol station about 1 hour commute to Dublin, don't imagine it would rent out easily. I could happily go for few months but what happens when I get back, there will be little chance of me getting a new job anywhere decent. Hope it all works out for you Mrs Mia. I'm just waiting for employers to announce it, maybe they won't!! I've been there for 6 yrs plus, so hopefully get a decent offer. Want to hear more of your stories, good and bad..... so I can make my decision quickly and easily if it does come down the tracks