Anyone use or heard of the Universal Co-Sleeper

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
Hi all, I just wondered if anyone has feedback on these, as they were recommended to us at the antenatal class on Saturday, and I think it looks like a great idea for babs?!?!? If anyone has heard of or used these, I'd be really grateful if they could let me know how they got on with it etc. thanks sue
rosiemama Posts: 3363
have also heard great things about these. dh's mate got one for his wee girl who is the same age as ds and thought it was brilliant. the only reason we didn't was the expense of it, especially since we got given a moses basket.
snowbear Posts: 2107
Hi there, I have it and love it. It's bigger than a moses basket so DS is 4.5 months and still using it. I guess we will move him into the cot at around 6 months. The advantages are mostly related to comfort and night feeds... he's right there beside me so I can look after him without getting out of bed, but there is no danger of rolling over or getting him overheated which would be my fear with actual co-sleeping (I know some people love sharing their bed with the LO but it's not for me). It can be turned into a travel cot or a play pen afterwards but be warned, it's quite ugly and hard to set up so I actually bought a cheap travel cot at the weekend - E39 in mothercare - because I didn't think adapting the co sleeper was worth the hassle. Pros: really cosy for LO, really handy for feeding, sticking in a soother, shush patting or anything else you want to do at night Cons: quite ugly. Hard to set up (DH nearly lost his reason :yelrotflmaosmilie: ), and you need quite a wide bedroom to fit it in and be able to open doors etc. It an also be hard for you to get out of bed when it's set up... we set it up before DS was born and I wouldn't like to repeat the effort it took me and my bump to wriggle around it. Also it won't last as long as a normal cot but will last much longer than a moses basket. Hope that helps.
marianf Posts: 5845
Hi Psycho Sue, I answered you on eumom and said I had bought it. Someone responded very negatively to the product and I wasn't bothered replying again, seeing as I haven't used mine yet. Have seen many posts about the mattress and apparently although it is very thin, it is top of the range in terms of orthapedics etc. If my baby doesnt like the mattress, I will just get another mattress for it. I posted some reviews from Kiddicare but couldnt remember where I had read the others which were very favourable.
Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
Thanks for that Marian. I'll check out the eumom posts also. sue
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
I got it.. didn't love it.. but haven't necessarily given up on it yet. I really liked being able to see him when he slept and reach out and touch him BUT.. and this is a big BUT.. after his initial sleepy newborn days he WOULD not go down in it. He SCREAMED like a maniac when put into it, but would sleep in pram downstairs. We reckoned it was just too vast for his tiny self. We had been loaned a Moses Basket as well so he went into this after three weeks and no bother.. SO... I don't know. It wasn't for our baby as a newborn.. but we will try again when he outgrows the moses basket as it is pretty big if you buy the big one vs the bassinet. Though I'm sceptical.. the joy of the moses basket is when we're out of sight, we're out of mind.. mine is very long (about 120cm, which is twice the size of many on the market I've realised, don't know where it came from though!) and I have it wedged up against the bed so I can put my hand in and shush him and can rock him too but he doesn't start looking/playing..