Anyone who made their own cake!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Kkilkenny Posts: 208
Hi there, Im considering making my own wedding cake. Just wondering how easy it was to deliver it to the hotel on the morning of the wedding. Did you do it yourself or got someone to set it up for you. From what i see it would all have to be assembled at the venue and wondering if it will be just too much work for me on the morning of the wedding, possibly having a seperate 3 tier cake stand would be easier than trying to stack and finish off a cake on the morning of the wedding! Also did anyone freeze cake beforehand and did it turn out ok
gingerwhinger Posts: 1421
not making my own cake but i've asked a friend to make it for me (still waiting on a response!!) would it possible for you to drop the cake off a day or 2 before hand. i'm sure the hotel will keep it refridgerated and put it out for you on the day. it'd be alot of hassle to drop it on the day unless you have a designated person to do it!
OrTees Posts: 907
I would think you would need to drop it off the day before as you will have so much going on on the morning of the wedding, although it depends on how far you are from the venue. Maybe someone else could drop it off for you on the morning of the wedding? We are planning on making our own cake (OH will bake and I will ice) and I think we will keep it as three separate tiers as that will be easier. Our venue has a suitable cake stand for this. There is a really good thread on making your own cake with lots of tips here: [url:225kej00]http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=278151&hilit#p2995708[/url:225kej00] As far as I know it is ok to freeze certain types of cake. Best of luck :)
yumyumcake Posts: 293
Couple of points here - I would avoid bringing a cake to hotel the night before, in general I find they do not mind them correctly, if you must print up a kind of official looking page with storage requirements and make some one sign for delivery confirming it was delivered intact and undamaged. If the buck stops with someone in particular they take better care. This might sound a bit dramatic but I have seen many cakes damaged while stored overnight in the hotel The vast bulk of wedding cakes should not be refrigerated, any cake with sugarpaste/fondant icing should not be refrigerated, it ruins the sugarpaste. In fact unless it was fresh cream, which is unlikely, it will not require refrigeration. Cakes have to be of a type that can sit around for hours in normal temperatures without deteriorating. When you ask can the cake be frozen beforehand do you mean before it is iced - if you are making madeira, lemon, chocolate type cakes they can be frozen no problem beforehand, in fact it sometimes improves them as they are slightly firmer and easier for the hotel to cut neatly. Fruit cake obviously keeps for months so do not need to be frozen. Chocolate biscuit cake can be made 4/5 days in advance. Ideally get someone else to drop it to the hotel on the day, if you are using the swan type stands the hotels often have there is no hassle with them setting it up. If you want it stacked then it is a different story, depending on the layers it will need to be doweled for support, you could in theory stack it at home and have it delivered already done, fine if it is not too far and cake is not too heavy. I would be slow to trust the hotel to stack the cake without damaging it, there are often finishing touches that need to be done anyway after stacking. I do think though that the stacked look nicer than those stands with each tier on separate level but that is just my personal preference, the stacked cakes are just a bit more modern looking. What looks nice too is 2 tiers stacked and then a small divider, can be candle, candle holder, small fancy glass (filled with crystals, flowers etc) there are loads of things you could use, everytime I walk through Woodies I see things that would make great dividers. A lot easier to set too as 2 tiers can easily be delivered already stacked, then just pop on the divider and top tier.
grogmg Posts: 455
Thanks for starting this thread and for all the replies wollies, myself and my mum are thinking of making my wedding cake as just cannot part with 350e plus for what we see as a simple cake :eek guna have a look at the link now.
yumyumcake Posts: 293
I am sure you do see it as simple, but remember the bulk of what you pay for is time and skill, so an interesting experiment maybe if you were up for it would be to keep a total of all money spent on the cake, ingredients, new tins if necessary, oven time, boards, ribbon, flowers if necessary, anything you spend on it. Also a log of all the time you spent shopping for the ingredients, baking it, cleaning up afterwards, filling, covering, decorating etc. I am genuinely interested in seeing how long it takes and how much it costs. We could then add the fixed costs to a nominal rate per hour of the time spent to arrive at a total cost as a matter interest. Are you game for keeping the record and posting back to let us all know the exact cost of a DIY job.
Kkilkenny Posts: 208
ok, h2b has offered to take the cake on the morning of the wedding. its a small exclusive use venue and there is a wedding on the day before so would be a bit awkward to deliver it when there is another wedding on. I dont have any family or friends to help on the morning and we have 2 kids so either i will have to get someone to mind them or get h2b to take it down. i might make a trial and see how it turns out. although i am a beginner, i like baking, and after splashing out on a new kitchenaid mixer ill have to give it a go!
luckyladee Posts: 2550
[quote="cakesiknow":2ab7hhuh]I am sure you do see it as simple, but remember the bulk of what you pay for is time and skill, so an interesting experiment maybe if you were up for it would be to keep a total of all money spent on the cake, ingredients, new tins if necessary, oven time, boards, ribbon, flowers if necessary, anything you spend on it. Also a log of all the time you spent shopping for the ingredients, baking it, cleaning up afterwards, filling, covering, decorating etc. I am genuinely interested in seeing how long it takes and how much it costs. We could then add the fixed costs to a nominal rate per hour of the time spent to arrive at a total cost as a matter interest. Are you game for keeping the record and posting back to let us all know the exact cost of a DIY job.[/quote:2ab7hhuh] I think this is a great idea - i wish I'd done this. My nana made my cake and then I iced it myself. I would have done it this way either way because i did it to involve my nana and her wonderful cake, not necessarily as a cost-saver. But I reckon it cost us close to what it would have if we'd had it made professionally...
Sprocket Posts: 1671
For those wondering about the cost of making your own cake, For a 12 round choc biscuit cake, 10" round choc fudge cake and 8" round lemon cake the ingredients, cake boards, dowels and boxes came to about £160. I also spent money on icing tools and mats, so another £40 on top of that. HTH :thnk
grogmg Posts: 455
That is a good price for your materials sprocket. I have gotten some more competitive quotes since I origionally posted, I obviously got the most expensive ones first. @ cakesiknow - our cake is quite simple 3 tiers covered in icing with flowers on top. I do no wish to deminish the skill it takes ot make and decorate a cake. My self and my mum have done many cakes over the years including quite intricate christmas cakes, so I am very aware of how time consuming and skillful makeing a cake can be. Due to our previous experience we have alot of the materials required in the house, all we would need is the icing and ingredients for the cake, however we see this as a huge undertaking the week of the wedding ot ice a cake and we also run into the issue of delivering the cake. I would love to hear anyone's experiences of delivering the cake to the venu either the night before of the day of the wedding.