Anyone with advice on sick pay please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

skillet Posts: 244
I was out sick last week I had that awful flu.I got a doctors cert for a week. I have just been told that I will be paid in full for the week off but I must take it as an un-paid week during my honeymoon time off.I dont understand how I am not entitled to any sick pay. Hope some one out there can through some light on it for me.Thank you
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
It differs from company to company - you dont necessarily have an entitlement to sick pay. You can apply to Social Welfare for illness benefit but the first 3 days are classed as waiting days so you wont be paid for those. Check your company handbook for your company policy.
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
Lady Godiva is right, it depends on the company. You should check it out. Good Luck. :wv
mad woman Posts: 22106
I dont get paid for any sick days.
Shin Posts: 8515
its true. a job is not obliged to pay you sick pay, its at the discretion of the company, however, they did say that they would pay you and that's totally separate from your holidays. They cant dock holiday pay for your honeymoon because they decided to pay you sick pay. The dept of Ent, Trade and employment will tell you that aswell.
skillet Posts: 244
Thanks Girls, its a small company so I guess I will take the pay this week as a week holiday pay and take a week unpaid around the wedding.We will be more flush then as SSIA,s will be in by then.I have never been off sick before so I really wasn't sure what the proceedure was.