Are you a feminist?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

whoop whoop Posts: 1616
It was suggested to me to start a new thread if I want to discuss feminism, so that's what I'm doing! Obviously 'feminism' is too big a topic to discuss in one thread. It's such a broad area, and it covers so much, and it's quite easy for two militant feminists to disagree on something, so there's no unifying 'feminism'. But my question for this thread is - how do you feel about feminism? Do you personally identify with the label of 'feminist'? Are gender issues, sexism and misogyny things you notice much or care about? I don't think it will suprise anyone when I say that I identify very strongly as a feminist. I read a lot about it which makes me hyper-sensitive to examples of misogyny and sexism in all it's forms (including benevolent and casual sexism). I hate that a lot of feminist debate (particularly online) is stifled or oppressed, usually using one of the following tactics 1) Lighten up, it's just a joke/banter 2) What about MEN'S rights? MEN are the victims here (with examples of false rape accusations or discrimination against single fathers) 3) I'm a woman and I don't have a problem with it, or I know a woman and she doesn't have a problem with it (therefore it is not a problem) 4) Feminists are all man-hating b*tches who can't get a man etc. etc. Any thoughts?
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Feminism can be defined as "the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men" So yes, I am a feminist and would be surprised at anyone who isn't. I'm not anti-men by any means but I do believe that we can be different but equal.
katief Posts: 1900
[quote="whoop whoop":1ocsejbl]It was suggested to me to start a new thread if I want to discuss feminism, so that's what I'm doing! Obviously 'feminism' is too big a topic to discuss in one thread. It's such a broad area, and it covers so much, and it's quite easy for two militant feminists to disagree on something, so there's no unifying 'feminism'. But my question for this thread is - how do you feel about feminism? Do you personally identify with the label of 'feminist'? Are gender issues, sexism and misogyny things you notice much or care about? I don't think it will suprise anyone when I say that I identify very strongly as a feminist. I read a lot about it which makes me hyper-sensitive to examples of misogyny and sexism in all it's forms (including benevolent and casual sexism). I hate that a lot of feminist debate (particularly online) is stifled or oppressed, usually using one of the following tactics 1) Lighten up, it's just a joke/banter 2) [b:1ocsejbl]What about MEN'S rights? MEN are the victims here (with examples of false rape accusations or discrimination against single fathers)[/b:1ocsejbl] 3) I'm a woman and I don't have a problem with it, or I know a woman and she doesn't have a problem with it (therefore it is not a problem) 4) Feminists are all man-hating b*tches who can't get a man etc. etc. Any thoughts?[/quote:1ocsejbl] All of the above, especially the points highlighted. I find women [b:1ocsejbl](some, not all)[/b:1ocsejbl] get more heated about men getting falsely accused of rape than they do about a woman getting raped and then it proceeds into "but what was she wearing", "She put herself in a dangerous position" etc etc. I'm quite a strong supporter of women's rights also.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Yes, I am and proudly so. I don't like how sexist jokes have been repackaged in the name of banter and having a laugh. I don't like the proliferation of lapdancing clubs and how being a stripper is somehow an "empowering" experiance, like pole dancing or strippercise classes. I don't like the stereotypes thrown at feminists (bra burners, lesbian, man haters-I am none of these. I need to wear a bra, especially now). I do feel let down by other women sometimes when I see how they try to be 'one of the lads' or decry other women for trying to make things more equal for everyone. I hate programmes like Girls of the Playboy Mansion and how normal it is to walk into a newsagents and see girly magazines like Nuts or Zoo with their boasts of boos inside. I find the worst of all is the casual sexism, the crude jokes and 'lighten up' comments, because its so easy to paint any woman who objects to this as some kind of looney harriden who has no sense of humour.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Yes I would consider myself one. I hate sexism, misogyny and same-sex sexism. I find a lot of women very sexist towards other women. There is probably a word for that, but can't think of it offhand. I hate the comments as well ACS - trust me I'd never burn my bra - couldn't be without it. Also hate the comments such as - you can't be a feminist if you expect a man to hold a door open for you. I can be, as I view it as basic manners that anyone, male or female would hold a door for someone. Regardless of what sex the person behind is. What could be construed as anti-feminist is expecting a man to open a door and hold it even if he wasn't going through it just because you are a woman. There is a difference!
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":30xnc9wo]Yes, I am and proudly so. I don't like how sexist jokes have been repackaged in the name of banter and having a laugh. I don't like the proliferation of lapdancing clubs and how being a stripper is somehow an "empowering" experiance, like pole dancing or strippercise classes. I don't like the stereotypes thrown at feminists (bra burners, lesbian, man haters-I am none of these. I need to wear a bra, especially now). I do feel let down by other women sometimes when I see how they try to be 'one of the lads' or decry other women for trying to make things more equal for everyone. I hate programmes like Girls of the Playboy Mansion and how normal it is to walk into a newsagents and see girly magazines like Nuts or Zoo with their boasts of boos inside. I find the worst of all is the casual sexism, the crude jokes and 'lighten up' comments, because its so easy to paint any woman who objects to this as some kind of looney harriden who has no sense of humour.[/quote:30xnc9wo] Fabulously written. You've an excellent way with words ACS.
[quote="bazinga":39kvyvzo]Yes I would consider myself one. I hate sexism, [b:39kvyvzo]misogyny and same-sex sexism[/b:39kvyvzo]. I find a lot of women very sexist towards other women. There is probably a word for that, but can't think of it offhand. I hate the comments as well ACS - trust me I'd never burn my bra - couldn't be without it. Also hate the comments such as - you can't be a feminist if you expect a man to hold a door open for you. I can be, as I view it as basic manners that anyone, male or female would hold a door for someone. Regardless of what sex the person behind is. What could be construed as anti-feminist is expecting a man to open a door and hold it even if he wasn't going through it just because you are a woman. There is a difference![/quote:39kvyvzo] Misogyny also, even if its by women. I know a few of these girls who forget they're women themselves and would renounce their gender if they could, nothing wrong with that, but they hold a contempt against other women.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
I am a feminist, yes. A cake-baking, house-tiding, bra-wearing, would love to be a SAHM, feminist. I like it when my H2B opens jars for me, or other men hold doors open. I don't think that makes me a "bad" feminist, just someone who appreciates the small, respectful gestures others make on a day-to-day basis. I think feminism is about our right to choose - just because I would choose to be a SAHM doesn't mean that I shouldn't have a right to a career. Just because I choose to have a monogamous relationship with my H2B doesn't mean that I shouldn't have the right to sleep with whomever I wanted if I were single/in an open relationship without being branded a slĂșt. I'm not just for women's rights though, I will stand up for men's rights too, children, animals; you name it. As for the whole equality thing: in some respects I think men and women are very different but then I have to wonder why that is...is it an innate difference or is it something that we learn due to gender stereotyping within our culture? Who cares? Either way we all deserve one another's respect, understanding and support. Actually, about the whole brushing off/slagging feminism thing...in my experience the people that put women down the most are other women. I've said it before lots of times on this site that while yes there is great support to be had between a group of women there is also some of the most vicious behaviour to be witnessed too - especially with women who don't know each other well and are thrown together for whatever reason.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Thanks Katief - I'm half asleep here! [quote="HippyChic":2xdmx4p2]I am a feminist, yes. A cake-baking, house-tiding, bra-wearing, would love to be a SAHM, feminist. I like it when my H2B opens jars for me, or other men hold doors open. I don't think that makes me a "bad" feminist, just someone who appreciates the small, respectful gestures others make on a day-to-day basis. I think feminism is about our right to choose - just because I would choose to be a SAHM doesn't mean that I shouldn't have a right to a career. Just because I choose to have a monogamous relationship with my H2B doesn't mean that I shouldn't have the right to sleep with whomever I wanted if I were single/in an open relationship without being branded a slĂșt. I'm not just for women's rights though, I will stand up for men's rights too, children, animals; you name it. As for the whole equality thing: in some respects I think men and women are very different but then I have to wonder why that is...is it an innate difference or is it something that we learn due to gender stereotyping within our culture? Who cares? Either way we all deserve one another's respect, understanding and support. Actually, about the whole brushing off/slagging feminism thing...in my experience the people that put women down the most are other women. I've said it before lots of times on this site that while yes there is great support to be had between a group of women there is also some of the most vicious behaviour to be witnessed too - especially with women who don't know each other well and are thrown together for whatever reason.[/quote:2xdmx4p2] Agree wholeheartedly here HC, said better than my rambling :o0
ninja next Posts: 1548
I'm absolutly a proud feminist - I belive that men & women should be treated equally and have the same opportunites as each other. It breaks my heart that in many countries in the world women are still treated as second class citizens.