Are you all washing newborn baby clothes???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emomc Posts: 2069
I have been picking up a few bits and pieces now over the past few weeks with a view to gettting the hospital bag sorted and also to get me over the first few weeks at home. Thankfully my sister will also be giving me some of her old stuff so I hope to be well sorted. My question is are you all washing the brand new stuff that has come in packets such as baby gros and vests? A girl I work with was telling me I should to ensure everything is nice and soft but I removed a lot of the clothes from their packets this evening and they seem quite soft already! Just wondering what you are all doing?
cmor Posts: 638
Hi we washed everything first...may have gone a little OTT but it was great piece of mind :-8 Best of luck with everything
islandfun Posts: 3054
I did, I initially didn't want to but figured while I had the time I would. I'm delighted now I did because they're still as fresh in the bag for the hospital and the ones in the drawers are all ready and waiting.
tarab23 Posts: 26
In the past I didnt wash any of the new stuff that was in packets. Maybe I should have. To be honest, I never thought of it!
theoracle Posts: 7664
I normally would, as I find that a lot of new stuff has a funny smell, esp if made in china, india or some such place they impregnate the textiles with some oils etc, so don't like the smell, but eg a new cardi/trousers wouldn't bother me just vests, and gros really.
Emomc Posts: 2069
Thanks girls think I will give vests and babygros a wash this weekend, must buy some Fairy Non Bio!
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
I didn't, put the vest & babygros straight into my hospital bag in their packets, so much easier to pack! Just took one of each out for the labour bag. Turned out they were all too big for DS, he was smaller than I expected :o)ll so DH had to be sent out for newborn babygros which were put straight on him. So even if I had've washed stuff I'd still have had to put babygros on straight from the packet :o0 Also, if you haven't found out the sex of your baby, you'll might want pink or blue for the baby in hospital & won't be washing them if your Mum or DH picks them up for you.
neeov Posts: 4256
There are a lot of chemicals used in the production of clothes, including preservatives to keep the clothes from getting mildew in transport. I wash all my own clothes before wearing so I washed babys clothes too. In fairness one wash washed everything, sheets, blankets and baby gros, these things are not big!!!!!!!
justwaitin Posts: 2462
i think its probably a good idea, but dread the idea of it, god ive enough washing here to keep me going for the weekend, feeling a bit lazy about it though.
aston Posts: 4100
My friend washed all of the clothes before putting them on her baby! peace of mind!