Are you buying the digital version of your photos?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rosebelle Posts: 346
Quick question in relation to those wollies who have sorted photography. A couple of people advised me to get the digital images of all photographs the photographer takes on the day, however this is an additional cost..quite substantial, 30% of the cost of photographer. Anyone want to share advice re this ?
zarajoy Posts: 23
Hi I am assuming that your are talking about digital copies of your photo's and not the actual digital rights of your photo's. I think this depends on the photographer, we are currently looking for a photographer and a major thing for my fiancee is that we get digital copies of all our photo's rather than having to go back to them in the future for copies. He is concerned that they might be go out of business or not working any more. I have been amazed at the difference between photographers, some won't give them, some will give them at a cost and some will give them for free! You are definitely best to shop around and see what different photographers offer. Another consideration is the quality of the digital photo's you will get, make sure the resolution of them is good as well. They are just the few bits I have learned in our search, think it is coming to an end now thank god!!! Best of luck with your photographer!
lux Posts: 6270
When you say ALL the photos taken on the day do you mean ALL, cos most photographers will take multiple shots of everything and many of these are not usable, eyes closed etc. We're getting 300 on a disk and we have the right to reproduce any of these. We're also getting an album and some prints. Its himself that wants the digital copy and its part of our package, so he made SURE that we had the right to reproduce them. I figure 300 photos is plenty to choose from, I would not want to be sifting through 1000 pictures looking for the good ones.
teapotty Posts: 2085
A colleague of mine warned me when looking for a photographer to make sure the digital disk of photos comes included in the package and that they can be printed off the disk with no watermarks on them- I think it's a scam when photographers insist on you buying all the copies from them and I think in this day and age the disk of photos should be free/ part of the standard packge.
Also, agree with teapotty that its sheer cheek to charge 30% extra for simply putting photos on a disk, it takes NO time and it standard for all the photographers I looked at. Right to reproduce should also be standard.
Xxcitedwife Posts: 835
i would have thought that most packages included a disk with photographs on it now? To be honest i would have thought the days of charging for extra copies is gone? We have gone for the cd only option so not 100% sure on details of other packages.
Bellisima Posts: 3583
I had just assumed that when our photographer said he's give us a disk with our photos on it that we'd be able to print from this? Am I being naive!? :-8 Any photographers have a POV on this?
[quote="Mrs PR":2zfyvhix]I had just assumed that when our photographer said he's give us a disk with our photos on it that we'd be able to print from this? Am I being naive!? :-8 Any photographers have a POV on this?[/quote:2zfyvhix] Check your contract Mrs PR! OH is very handy with stuff like this, like you I assumed we'd be able to print our own pictures. However, a lot of photographers do not give the client the right to reproduce, I guess cos they want you to buy prints/albums and not just a disk. I ruled out some immediately because of this. I just checked our contract again and it clearly states the client has the right to reproduce all images on the disk, ie we'll be able to get a copy printed of every photo on the disk without the photographer's name/mark on them.
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="lux":1dby5u0b][quote="Mrs PR":1dby5u0b]I had just assumed that when our photographer said he's give us a disk with our photos on it that we'd be able to print from this? Am I being naive!? :-8 Any photographers have a POV on this?[/quote:1dby5u0b] Check your contract Mrs PR! OH is very handy with stuff like this, like you I assumed we'd be able to print our own pictures. However, a lot of photographers do not give the client the right to reproduce, I guess cos they want you to buy prints/albums and not just a disk. I ruled out some immediately because of this. I just checked our contract again and it clearly states the client has the right to reproduce all images on the disk, ie we'll be able to get a copy printed of every photo on the disk without the photographer's name/mark on them.[/quote:1dby5u0b] Oh god there's so much to think of. Will email him now! We're getting an album and some prints so hopefully will be ok! Thanks for the heads up.
leonardphotography Posts: 133
Hey there, This is an area of great confusion as there isn't really any 'standard' in place. It's a bit of a minefield. Traditionally wedding photographers never used to give you access to the original negatives / film (of course now replaced largely by digital) so you were tied into buying prints and albums etc from the photographer usually at a fairly hefty price. Of course now most couples (rightly so !!) want un-restricted access to their digital photos so they can copy, print, email etc. There are of course many photographers who are still working to the old model and will not give you access in anyway to digital photos or if they do will charge you a hefty premium. Many other wedding photographers are offering you digital photos but be very very careful as they are not all offering the same thing. Some photographers watermark the images, some photographers will only give you a slideshow disc which you can't print from etc, some photographers only give you low resolution photographs which will give you a 6x4 inch print but go any larger and it's no use.Other photographers will give you access to all the photos but simply give you everything shot on the day totally unedited. Bear in mind any images shot on your day need considerable post processing to get them looking their best, this is basic work such as colour balancing, brightness adjusment, sharpness, image cropping and basic retouching (mark on a dress or spot on a chin !!). Here are some questions you should ask your photographer when looking for digital photographs from your wedding: i) Will you shortlist the best photographs from the day ? (Bear in mind a photographer may shoot 1200 shots at your wedding and there will be a lot of rubbish in there as well !!) ii) Are the shortlisted photographs professionally edited ? iii) If so how many professionally edited photographs would you normally issue to a couple ? iv) Will you also give us access to unedited versions of the non-shortlisted photographs ? (While there may be problems with these ones, closed eyes etc they can be fun to have ). v) Are all digitally issued photographs released to us with rights to copy and reproduce as we wish ? (Effectively this is full copyright release giving you the ability to copy, print etc). vi) Are all photos issued in high resolution format suitable for large prints ? vii) Are photos watermark free ? You still need to be careful though in choosing your photographer as there are so many photographers now offering you digital wedding photos but they may have limited skill or experience. Bear in mind digital photographs benefit from skilled editing work and the very cheapest photographers simply won't bother editing shots to the standard you deserve. Do take the time to review photographers websites and make the effort to meet them and ask to see sample albums, full digital weddings etc. You tend to get what you pay for. Anyway I hope this helps. (BTW - I of course offer you unrestricted access to your digital photos with typically 350-400 shots professionally edited...) More details on my website if you're interested. many thanks,