Are you keeping a pregnancy diary?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
I've heard of people keeping this and wondered if it's common. Like many of you I'm sure, when we were TTC we didn't know if it would take 2 months or 5 years so it certainly didn't seem like the time to be keeping a diary. When I got my BFP, I couldn't believe it but it was such early days I wanted to wait for reassurance - and while early on your doctor can do his own test and confirm the pregnancy, it's far too early for heartbeat, movement etc and such a high proportion of pregnancies end in miscarriage in the first 12 weeks - well, keeping a diary didn't occur to me then either. The first scan was 9 weeks but was still waiting for the magic 12 weeks...then was waiting to hear the heartbeat...then for the first movements....then the 20 week scan....and even then, they want me to come back at 25 weeks as they didn't get to see everything. There is never a time when I would feel so confident that everything is 100% hunky dory that I'd feel comfortable writing down my thoughts, particularly looking forward to the baby, the things we're going to do together. It feels far more like tempting fate than buying a few baby clothes or a cot. Just wondered what all of you think? Are you keeping diaries? What do you think of them? Is it something we'd love to look back on in years to come (when our baby is older, or for example on a subsequent pregnancy) or does it seem like a strange idea? Curious to hear your thoughts!
jen2 Posts: 3106
I have heard of people doing this before and, I think its a good idea, so you forget things after you have the baby, not everything, but little things, so it mgith be nice to look back. I know I would ot be good at doing this. I love to read, so I read nearly every night before i go to bed, and would forget the diary. Tried keeping one when I was younger, but always forgot about it. I think its a lovely idea. Jen2
Pumpernickle Posts: 206
GB, I bought a blank diary to use for my pregnancy as I thought it would be nice to look back on in years to come. It might also be nice to give it to babs when he/she's all grown up!!!
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
No, its not really my sort of thing
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
I really wish I did it on my first, so I'd have little notes on how I was doing along now......and if I got a pain on my 17 week that I would worry myself MAD until I got a scan..... To late for me now as this is my last baby but I would advice to do it on your first!
porshe Posts: 1359
I am keeping one, have only written in it about 10 times though, I have started to write it in more, not just only what I am feeling but ideas for names etc... I have also started to stick some pictures of some ideas I have seen. Sometimes I write to the baby and sometimes I just write it like a diary. :-8
whackywoman Posts: 1496
I kept one when I was pregnant, keep meaning to keep it up to date now. I basically started a word document and wrote on it when I thought of it or when I had time. It is lovely to look back as you would forget so much stuff. Hopefully I will be able to give it to my dd when she is older. I have kept diaries on and off over the years and found them great theraphy - although the ones during my teens would probably make very embarrassing reading now :-8 :-8
fantac Posts: 4109
i kept one - got a little hardback a5 notebook, it starts with a photo of the positive pregnancy test and i wrote in it several times a week the whole way thru - her scan pics etc are in it too. its loevly reading it now, feeling her first kick and when i had to get maternity clothes and looking at the little alien in the scan who is now a 6month cuddly bundle of happiness. i still write her milestones in it and when she's ill or does something very funny. i wish my mum could remember more about when she had us, so i thought it'd be nice to do it for DD when she is having he own children (not that she will ever even SEE a willy - according to dh!)
alton Posts: 3077
I kept one in the beginning - full of excitement and hopes etc, and then I hit a bad patch, got a bit low and felt too guilty about how I was feeling to write any of it down. I had this vision of my future child reading it. The my SIL showed me her diary. She found it really helpful on subsequent pregnancies to be able to flick back and realise that she had been through a lot of the same stuff before even if she had forgotten it. Funny thing, her kids were sitting round and had zero interest in it, aside from the scan pictures and name suggestions that she had in there. I've written in mine on and off since, but I'm not very disciplined about it.
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
I have started one, I think its a lovely idea. My mother doesnt remember anything about her pregnancies, she always says we were 'never any trouble' and 'great children' :o0