are you washing all your new purchases

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mummyinlove10 Posts: 908
i just assumed that everyone washed all the clothes etc bought for newborns - however was saying it in friends house the other day and they thought i was mad - having family who work in retail and have seen some stock rooms and things thrown around i would want to have peace of mind that everything is clean and fresh whats the norm
Santa Posts: 1191
I have washed anything that was in plastic, can't bear 2 wash my little stuff on hangers in case they lose that new look-it said in the book I have if u wash whats in plastic rest should b ok hth :wv
meggan1 Posts: 110
I washed everything, new clother (even ones on hangers) cellular blankets and cot /moses basket sheets.
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
No I dont plan on washing everything, I got some fab babygros in M&P's that are sooo soft and smell lovely dont think they need washing, may wash some baby towels or anything that might feel "hard" but other than that everything is staying as it is :wv
twinpeaks2 Posts: 77
I hadn;t planned on washing clothes, just towels and sheets/ blankets. But midwife at antenatal class recommended washing everything. So probably will now. I would have thought stuff in plastic was protected and stuff on hangers more likely to have been sneezed on etc.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
God hadn't even thought of washing stuff - what washing powder is best for new borns?? Do you use Comfort is the wash?
taurus09 Posts: 484
I wasn't going to wash anything either but then the midwife in my ante natal class was saying how thin and sensitive the babys skin is especially in the first few days that I decided I'd wash everything.(I actually got my mam to wash it all :-8 ) After the first few days I don't think I'll wash new stuff, will try and see if baby has any reaction.
twinpeaks2 Posts: 77
A non biologial washing powder is the one to use according to midwife. I hate alundry, DH does it all. But I'm off this week so said I'd do it today. Instead I'm on WOL avoiding it!
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
oh I didnt know it was mentioned at antenatal classes, think i'll be doing a lot of washing by the time Jan comes :o0 :o0
curliwurli Posts: 3369
I washed absolutely everything whether or not it was in plastic but then I am a bit OCD about things like that, couldn't bear the thoughts of people's grubby hands being all over the clothes before I bought them and then putting them straight onto the baby. I used persil small and mighty non bio and comfort pure but might try using the aldi non bio that we use ourselves once baby is a bit older as couldn't afford to keep using the fancy stuff!