Arms !!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

StarLilly Posts: 684
Hey, Looking for advice on sorting arms and upper back. i only want to lose about 5-7 pounds (hopefully from the right areas!) but toning is more my issue. Any suggestions please? i tried cardio boxercise kind of thing which was great but i have a bad shoulder/neck so couldn't keep it up, lifting weights isn't really an option because of that either. So any suggestions are welcome please!!! Thanks :thnk :wv
lollypopwife Posts: 836
Do you run or would you think about taking it up? I'm not sure if its proven or anything but I find whenever I go back to running regularly, the unexpected benefit is how much it takes weight off my upper body. I would combine it with light arm toning exercises though so thats helps too. I say go back becuase I've let it slip of late but with 6 months to go I'm def starting again this week, I'm so concious of my arms and upper body in photos and don't want that on the big day!! I also horseride which I find can be great for the arms. I tried TRX too and could see myself getting toned almost within a week but I'm not sure how well this would suit if you have problems, you could look into it though!
StarLilly Posts: 684
Thanks! I actually downloaded the couch to 5k app last night so trying to get into running so hopefully that gives me the same benefits as you! Good luck with your 6 month plan! :) I go to Zumba but I work shift work so I could go twice a week for a couple of weeks, but then not be able to go for about 3 weeks! I'd like to try TRX-is it really tough? Same with that and Pilates though, hard to find drop in classes that I can do with shift work. What toning exercises do you do? Do they involve lifting weights? :thnk :wv
FinallyMrsM Posts: 899
I am interested in this too. I have four weeks and would like to lose some of my upper arms as my dress is a sweetheart dress. I have been trying Tae Bo which is good and uses the upper body. I also have a bad shoulder so the weights kill me. I also do the Leslie Sansome walk & jog which involves arms quite alot too My problem though is more having the motivation to do it. It's easier to tell myself I'll do it tomorrow and then not bother, I know if only I stuck to it I'd lose 6 - 7lbs in the time I need to :-8
Littleoeuf Posts: 131
Would swimming be ok for your shoulder?? You could even add a pull buoy if you wanted to really work the arms!
tassajara Posts: 723
In terms of building arm muscle and tone, I don't think there is anything better than pushups and tricep dips. Start off with 25 of each exercise, split into 5 sets and stretch your arm muscles in between each set. General cardio work will then help you lose the weight as well, but you'll also have fabulous toned arms as well.
stripes Posts: 30
Hi, in relation to those dips, when you say sets of 5, would that mean 25 and then break, 25 and then break etc. ? Thanks
tassajara Posts: 723
no, 5 x 5, next day 5 x 7 and so on. Currently I'm doing 5 x 25 and I'm in bits today. Start off with smaller sets so you don't injure yourself. I use an app on my Windows phone to track my progress.
Mamabelle2011 Posts: 363
Considering your neck/back injuries maybe you should go for something non-weight bearing like swimming?? fantastic for toning and much less likely than trx etc to cause injury. Zumba is great fun and a good cardio work out but its doubtful how it would tone your arms. Having said that it is a really enjoyable workout! Good luck! :wv
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
[quote="Mamabelle2011":1d6ntl7l]Considering your neck/back injuries maybe you should go for something non-weight bearing like swimming?? fantastic for toning and much less likely than trx etc to cause injury. Zumba is great fun and a good cardio work out but its doubtful how it would tone your arms. Having said that it is a really enjoyable workout! Good luck! :wv[/quote:1d6ntl7l] + 1, I find swimming very good for toning arms