Arnica 200c?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

23leanne Posts: 761
Just wondering how many I need to order and how many I should take per day?
pinkframe Posts: 628
Hiya, I bought mine in Nelsons on Duke Street, lady told me take them ASAP after delivery, 1 every 4 hours...don't eat anthing for 15 mins before or after! I just bought 1 pack, they come in a little bottle about the size of your baby finger, I haven't counted how many are in there but the lady said bottle was plenty + to take for at least 5 days post delivery.
mamasarus Posts: 831
I took 2 a day for last 2/3 weeks before due date. Then after delivery took the max dose for about 5 days or a week.
Daff Posts: 11644
Oh I popped them like smarties :-8 Was out shopping in dundrum 2 days after DD was born so must work :o0
ralphlauren Posts: 130
Excuse my ignorance but what is arnica for??
ructions Posts: 2689
It's a homeopathic remedy used for bruising, strains and sprains. There's actually no scientific studies which prove it works but many people find it speeds up healing for them. I have used it over the years to help with sports injuries, I can't say if I wouldn't have healed that fast anyway or the arnica did it but it did me no harm. OP the midwife told me to take three of the 200c a day and not until after the birth.
MissSindyhead Posts: 560
I've used arnica in the past and found it good. Was surprised to read the following in CUMH's Maternity magazine: The herbal preparation arnica has an anticoagulant effect on the blood (thins the blood) similar to the drugs warfarin and heparin. If a woman has used arnica before or during labour it is not possible to have epidural anaesthesia for pain relief. I know most people are planning to take it after the birth rather than before/during but I thought this was interesting to know. I had never heard this before.
ructions Posts: 2689
[quote="Jabberwocky":3macqdot]I've used arnica in the past and found it good. Was surprised to read the following in CUMH's Maternity magazine: The herbal preparation arnica has an anticoagulant effect on the blood (thins the blood) similar to the drugs warfarin and heparin. If a woman has used arnica before or during labour it is not possible to have epidural anaesthesia for pain relief. I know most people are planning to take it after the birth rather than before/during but I thought this was interesting to know. I had never heard this before.[/quote:3macqdot] I had heard it before alright. I do think it's important that people know homeopathic remedies, and any vitamin/mineral supplements for that matter, can have side effects. Lots of people are guilty of self-diagnosing themselves as "needing" iron or needing arnica etc without considering the interactions with other drugs.
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
It used to be recommended to start taking Arnica as soon as you start contractions but nowadays it's only recommended you take it once baby is born. I started mine within an hour of giving birth and have been taking 3 a day since (my little boy is just over 2 weeks old now). I had to get an episiotomy and stitches and when my gp checked my stitches he couldn't get over how well they're all healing and I'm putting it down to arnica. Like another poster said, I was walking around Liffey Valley when my son was 5 days old, I never felt bruised or sore down there at all. They're really great but it's vital you take the 200C dose of them, you can buy 20C and 50C in chemists but they're useless when it comes to labour/surgery, you really do need the 200C ones.
Septmom2010 Posts: 167
I've since had my baby but I tried every health shop in Cork to get the 200c and they weren't to be got, where can they be bought?? Thanks :)