Menu

Arnica, Raspberry, Clary oil, Hypercal? Where to get them?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
Ive been writing down tips from this forum about what to use to bring on labour and what helps for recovery but dont know where to even get these things. Arnica (Health shop) Raspberry tea (possibly in any supermarket??) Clary oil (chemist?) Hypercal.... what is this, what do i do with it and where do i get it?
bunnyhop1 Posts: 419
Health food shops!!...you should get all that in Holland and Barrett or equivalent!!
amberjack Posts: 1273
Hi Lush, I got most of them between Holland and Barrett and Boots - Boots have 3 for 2 on all the oils and arnica, but don't sell rasberry tea leaves (1.99 for pack of 20 in H&B) or Tea Tree wipes - which I've heard are quite good. Havent heard of Hypercal??
Duffers Posts: 1841
Never heard of hypercal, google it? I got Raspberry leaf tea in my local health food shop & anrica in local chemist. Never used Clary oil either. Dont use the Raspberry leaf til you are due. It speeds up 2nd stage of labour (open to correction), I was a little worried of this causing alot of tearing and not letting my body stretch gradually.
lush11 Posts: 2877
Thanks girls, a trip to Holland and Barratt may be needed then. Hypercal comes in a gel, cream or oil i think and you can add it to a bath to help with perineal tear.
bunnyhop1 Posts: 419
I ended up not using the Hyperical....I had a small tear and used witch hazel on my pads and washed it with saline at every loo trip!! I only had to do that for about a week and to be honesty the thought of touching it to put cream on killed me!!
Service Finder
Bm10 Posts: 296
Hi Ladies, You should be able get the Raspberry leaf tea, clary sage oil and hypercal in a health food shop The arnica I would recommend getting on line from Nelsons in Dublin, they sell 200c strength whereas the healthfood shops/chemists can only sell up to 30c strength so it's worth getting the stronger stuff :) hth kx
spanish mum Posts: 2468
[quote="mrslegolas":36aedz2g]Dont use the Raspberry leaf til you are due. It speeds up 2nd stage of labour (open to correction), I was a little worried of this causing alot of tearing and not letting my body stretch gradually.[/quote:36aedz2g] Dont worry, this is a myth about speeding up labour. The raspberry leaf tea or capsules can be used from 32 weeks and they say they help strengthen the uterus.
Pinkly Posts: 1414
I wouldn't advise using the Clary Oil to bring on labour. It can result in bad stomach cramps, vomitting & a very upset stomach which would be the last thing you need when in labour! My GP warned me against it! I found tea tree oil brilliant for stitches. I had an episiostomy and sprinkled a few drops of this onto the thick green pads, it works as an antiseptic too so will prevent any infections.
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
I bought the witch hazel for after the birth. Do you just put it directly on pads or does it need to be diluted at all? I was looking at arnica gel in Tesco but couldn't face the thoughts of rubbing it on. Is it better to get arnica tablets somewhere? Can you use all these things as often as you like and liberally? I also got tea tree oil although not sure what I will use it for yet. I think the raspberry tea leaf tablets work for some and not others. Baby's head is not yet engaged so would be afraid it would start me dilating without head engaged and I would have a worse time then. Waiting til head is fully in place and then I might think more about it.