Arnica?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mischa09 Posts: 1068
Hi I've noticed Arnica being mentioned a lot on the essential lists. I was in boots at lunch time buying other stuff and the lady told me i could get something free, so i saw arnica on the shelf and just grabbed it! But its a gel!! I think i was supposed to get the tablets instead???? Was i??? M
Toblerone Posts: 2698
i've read of people taking arnica 200c tablets immediately after birth in order to aid recovery after labour. They aren't for sale in regular chemists or Boots though. I think Nelson's have them. The gel isn't meant to be put on any open wounds so not sure where it could be used. Don't worry it will come in handy in the future as the magic cream for little ones. It helps with knocks and bangs and bruises.
pattie Posts: 2379
Yes it's the tablets you take. You can keep the gel for when your LO starts walking, it's supposed to be great for all the bumps and bruises they get falling over!
justwaitin Posts: 2462
i got my arnica tablets in a regular chemist, ill second the cream for bruises its a god send.
bellatoscana Posts: 390
The gel is fantastic for bruising. Excuse my ignorance but what are the tablets for?
oohbaby Posts: 164
Arnica 200 strength supposed to be great to take as soon as poss after labour to reduce bruising and soreness. Cant get that strength in regular chemists, but Nelsons on Duke Street in Dublin do it, or call them and you can order over the phone and they'll have it out to you within a couple of days.
bellatoscana Posts: 390
ahhh sounds great will have to remember that, great tip ladies
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Arnica would be top of my list too! I took it after DD1 (emerg C-section) and receovered fine. i bought more (200c) going into have DD2 but I couldn't find it when i got to hospital (must of fallen out somewhere) and it took me a lot longer to recovery from her, maybe it was coincidence but if I go again i won[t be taking any chances!!
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I took arnica think 30mg it was from boots 2 hours after birth and every day for a week after. I had a 10lbs 4.5 oz baby and I swear the arnica helped me majorly after. I also recommend soaking pads in witch hazel, really cools down below. I know my midwife said it can kill good bacteria but I felt it really helped so I went with my gut feeling.
Toni Baloney Posts: 544
Just got the 'childbirth remedy kit' from homeopathyresource.com, it cost about €30 and all of the remedies are 200c strength. My mam has been using homeopathy for about 20 years so I've seen how much it can help for various things. Arnica is great stuff. I'm prone to walking into stuff so keep arnica tablets in my handbag (also took a few yesterday after a bikini wax :o0 ). Is worth reading up a bit on homeopathy, just so you know about how and when to take the tablets etc. I just googled 'homeopathy childbirth', there's loads of info. Like the others were saying, the gel is fantastic for knocks and bruises, but dont put on broken skin. Best of luck.