I'm 10 days overdue now and getting fed up. I was at the hospital this morning and they said I'm all ready to go, cervix is nice and soft, babys head is well down, its just a matter of time.
They said they could break my waters artificially and that should induce labour if I wanted. I said I'd rather wait to go naturally which was fine with the doctor, but I'm wondering if I should just get it done tomorrow. Is there any disadvantage to having your membranes ruptured artificially? I presume its not the same and being induced using a gel or IV.
I want to try and avoid as much intervention as possible. If they rupture my membranes will I definitely go into labour, or am I more likely to need to further induction?
I just don't know what to do. Wish the baby would hurry up and get moving!
Aww Chilledout, I can't give you any advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to give you a hug, it must have been a very long 10 days for you. Hopefully some of the other girls will be able to tell you more. Or maybe your GP could advise you ? Good luck in any case, hopefully you won't have to wait too long more for our little bundle to be in your arms.
Thanks Tigletts! I tried posting on magic mum too as there seems to be a lot of people who know their stuff over there, but the server is down so I thought I'd try here. Didn't think I'd get much replys.
I know I'll have the baby this week but I'm getting so sick of waiting! I've been on maternity leave for 5 weeks now and cabin fever is setting in as I'm afraid to go out in case my waters break!
Firstly follow your own heart.
Now my 2 cents.
I read on another site or maybe here cannot remember "theres no such thing as a late baby only a ready baby".
SO the baby is grand in there according to the doc, the heart rate is good and the movement per day is right?.
Well a pregnancy is not late until 42 weeks pet, but when your waters are broken and the baby is not ready it results in a longer labour. nOw i am sure thats not true in every case.
Sorry i have not helped at all if i were you i would wait 36 hours more.
WHat do you think?
GO for a very very long walk don't worry just get moving.
Was wondering if you were still around- so you are? I have been thinking about this too. It is the policy in Holles St. to break your waters if you are dilated 1cm+ and they have not gone, to speed up the process. You need to tell them in advance if you do not want it done.
As far as I know it speeds things up BUT can make the labour more painful. Obviously I would like things to progress naturally, the waters to break, contractions to go normally with no stop starting etc.
I dunno how I will feel but am nervous that if I go too far over meconium could become a big issue.
So I suppose as it's the policy in my hospital to do it anyway- I would go for it. And that is just my opinion.
Good Luck with your decision and most of all with the Birth!
What's meconium IAS?
Tiglettss, meconium is when the baby has a bowel movement in the uterus. It can then swallow it and get a nasty infection. If the waters are broken in the hospital they can see if there is any meconium and if there is speed things up so the baby doesn't swallow too much.
I think you're right Bella about the baby being ready or not. Its obviously not distressed so its probably best to leave it another few days.
Its a secret, they said I'm 2cm dilated, I'm just not having contractions so they'd prefer to leave me. I think the Coombe tends to be less into intervention then Holles st!
Thanks for your replies girls!
Ah well then you are on the way Chilled- I didn't realise you were 2cm.
It's just the waiting game- at least something is happening!
And yeah HS are more into intervention!!!
oh chilled out it is a hard one to call but patience is a virtue because you might be p*ssed off now but you will recover quicker (tears etc) if theres no medical intervention.
Obviously if all is going well ,if the doc recommends medical intervention thats a different story.
HOnestly go out for a walk tonight with dh.Go out when it's dark and if the waters break no one will notice.
I've been 2cm dilated since last week! The doctor was really surprised when she saw me back in today still not having had the baby.
Sounds like a good idea to go for a walk in the dark! If only it wasn't so cold! I think I have a paranoia about my waters breaking in public. I'm not sure why!