Asking for raise, anyone successful/ unsuccessful

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jackrussell Posts: 213
I know I'm lucky to have a perm job and happy. I am happy but feel I have done very well for the company over the past two years. Should I ask for raise or is this a big no no? I prob would not ask till another few months. I'm just wondering what your opinion on this or would I shoot myself in the foot asking for one. Tbh I've never asked for a raise in previous positions to avoid awkwardness and just got on with it. Anyone been unsuccessful or successful? What's the best way to approach this? What percent would be realistic to ask for? I could very well chicken out of this but just wondering what ye guys think . Thanks
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
I think it totally depends on the company... is the company doing well financially? if not regardless of how well you've done they may not be a position to give you a raise etc. so if its doing well... the yes def ask for a raise... I would expect between 8%-10% or another way to approach this is, go for other simlar roles... get offered a job and go back to them saying you've been offered another and its more money... then theres a possiblity they will make etc :wv
petri Posts: 574
No harm in asking! I got one this month and last year aswell as I had taken on more work. All they can do is say no I dont think its a big deal! Good luck with it :)
candypants Posts: 8575
DH asked before xmas and got it, starts this month :o)ll
[quote="petri":3hkbtwyr]No harm in asking! I got one this month and last year aswell as I had taken on more work. All they can do is say no I dont think its a big deal! Good luck with it :)[/quote:3hkbtwyr] Cheers will do. Did you ask it did they just give it you?
[quote="SaraD08":8kcnpbaj]I think it totally depends on the company... is the company doing well financially? if not regardless of how well you've done they may not be a position to give you a raise etc. so if its doing well... the yes def ask for a raise... I would expect between 8%-10% or another way to approach this is, go for other simlar roles... get offered a job and go back to them saying you've been offered another and its more money... then theres a possiblity they will make etc :wv[/quote:8kcnpbaj] Thanks how long were you in your position before asking for a raise?
petri Posts: 574
I asked after a year and same again the following year :) All they can do is say no!!
teapotty Posts: 2085
You need to find out if you're pay is up to standard in the industry you work in taking into account your experience, position (level of responsibility) and qualifications. Do you have a professional qualification or belong to any industry groups that provide salary surverys for people working in similar roles to you? That would be helpful. You basically need some proof or basis for your argument that your are worth more than they are paying you. Check the CPI, I think this year in my company they gave 1.5% increase to everyone to reflect CPI. Now if your company is not doing well all of the above may be thrown out the window and management may stick to a policy of no pay rises in tough times. You may just have to suck that up if that's what they say. Really though the crucial thing is to prove your worth and you'll only manage this with some sort of proof of comparable roles and salaries in your industry. A few job specs for other companies that provide salaries on them could help. Don't say things like my mortgage has gone up, I have a baby, I need a new car. Stick to objective measures like the CPI and industry payscales.
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
[quote="jackrussell":37u62jch][quote="SaraD08":37u62jch]I think it totally depends on the company... is the company doing well financially? if not regardless of how well you've done they may not be a position to give you a raise etc. so if its doing well... the yes def ask for a raise... I would expect between 8%-10% or another way to approach this is, go for other simlar roles... get offered a job and go back to them saying you've been offered another and its more money... then theres a possiblity they will make etc :wv[/quote:37u62jch] Thanks how long were you in your position before asking for a raise?[/quote:37u62jch] to be honest i was in my position 9 months, i had taken on tons more work and responsibilty etc... so i asked i got €2k.... so then i went and got offered a job €5k more and they matched it... so all in all i got €7k.. that was last May 2011. This year I got €4k, plus a bonus... so i know im very lucky etc... :wv
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I regularly ask for a raise and am regularly told where to go :o0