Asking GP to check if hcg is doubling?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happyfamily Posts: 3323
Hi girls. Just wondering if anybody here with a history of miscarriage asked their GP to take blood two days apart in early pregnancy to check if hcg is doubling normally? I could really do with reassurance
Bluebear Posts: 1594
Think it depends on your GP Happy family. On my 1st mc even though I was bleeding my GP refused to do it saying they didn't test hcg levels in their practice. After that unhelpful experience I switched practice and my new GP took hcg levels for me when they couldn't detect a heartbeat on subsequent pregnancy. There was a small fee of €35 for the bloods which I happily paid. My advice would be if your normal GP won't take bloods shop around. Where are you based? I could pm you details of my GP if that would help. I understand the worry of finding out your pregnant after a mc but I'm sure everything will go well for you. Wishing you a happy & healthy nine months.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I'm in cork. I've not had much experience with my GP but he seems nice so I might go along and explain how anxious I'm feeling-and then I get anxious about being anxious in case I bring on a mc!!!!! Whew. Wish I could relax and enjoy this
CherylC Posts: 1071
Definitely worth asking. My GP did it for me for no charge, As I had a previous miscarriage.