Aspirations Bridal or De Staffords

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Blaithin Posts: 27
Hi, I am going to Dublin this week and have an appointment in Alexander Bridal. I was hoping to make another appointment for the day but not sure which shop to go for. I feel individual attention is very important for such a big decision and was hoping I could get some advice based on your experiences. I have looked at both De Staffords and Aspirations and was wondering what are peoples general opinions of these shops. I also heard there is a shop in Jervis but can't find it on line. Thanks.
newed2011 Posts: 268
########
Littlewonder Posts: 66
I visited Aspirations and found them very helpful, it was the only place (of many many shops!) that got me to view the dress sitting down and walking the length of the shop towards a mirror (you feel silly but it gives you a good idea of how it looks as you walk down the aisle!) The only thing is they had a limited selection of lace dresses which is what I was really after. De Staffords definetly do those more, I guess it depends on what style you are going for. Also Aspirations prices were lower as lace dresses are considerably more expensive. The bridal shop in Jervis is Berketex, I had an appointment but to be honest the lady on the phone was so rude when I rang to book I cancelled my appointment. She first called me lazy- yes LAZY- because I was looking for dresses in January for my august wedding and then told me she would have to 'give out to me' (for my laziness) when I came for my appointment. :eek :eek That put me right off, plenty other shops to look around instead of giving her business! Enjoy shopping, its a great experience!
Bellisima Posts: 3583
Id go for de Staffords. Aspirations have quite a bad name (in my experience anyway) so if it was me I wouldnt go there.
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
I wasn't too keen on either shop to be honest. I just popped into deStaffords so maybe it was cos I didn't have an appointment that they weren't as attentive as I thought they should be. Aspirations were good to deal with in terms of picking out dresses to suit me and doing the whole walk (with a bouquet!!!!) sitting down, looking at dress from different angles, etc. However I did find the lady in the shop EXTREMELY pushy and that put me off!!
luppy Posts: 246
I only have experience of de staffords and have to say I found them lovely. the 2nd time I went in I met a girl that I used to work with and her sis was trying on dresses. straight away the lady in the shop could see I was going to be uncomfortable and I tried on the dress in the changing room (which was big enough) and my mam came in with me. good luck :wv
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
Hi, I would go for De Stafford that's where I got my dress. I went to Aspirations bridal as well. I would agree that the owner is very pushy. I went to a lot of shops before I found my dress and was getting stressed as my wedding is in August and by Jan I was still looking. The owner in Aspirations must had said about 5 times that if I wanted to order a dress I would have to do it within a week or it may not come in on time for the wedding! As if I wasn't stresses enough as it was O:| Totally different service in De Stafford. I had Margaret and she was brilliant. She knew I was stressed and all through the fittings she had me laughing and relaxed and I found my dress! Not once was I told that I was leaving it a bit late to order. The owner Kathy was also there and was very helpful
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
I went to De Staffords based on friends recommendations and reviews on here. Have to say I didn't think the shop was worth the rave reviews it got. While we were there a girl was picking up her dress and the way it had been altered it was way too tight on her - all it needed was to be let out a small bit. She could hardly walk in the dress and I don't know how she was going to sit down in it!
GirlFriday Posts: 1815
I went to deStaffords on a Saturday and the place was like a zoo, they only give you 40 mins per appointment on Sat! During the week it's more though I think... The woman in Aspirations is a bit OTT but she really really knows her stuff, didn't like the dresses in there though, not in great condition... I'd recommend calling into Ciara Bridal in Powerscourt, you don't need an appointment as far as I know :wv
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
[quote="GirlFriday":3gkpq5i0]I went to deStaffords on a Saturday and the place was like a zoo, they only give you 40 mins per appointment on Sat! During the week it's more though I think... The woman in Aspirations is a bit OTT but she really really knows her stuff, didn't like the dresses in there though, not in great condition... I'd recommend calling into Ciara Bridal in Powerscourt, you don't need an appointment as far as I know :wv[/quote:3gkpq5i0] Think Ciara Bridal take apts during the week it's just Saturdays they don't take apts I think I could be wrong though! I just found that shop so small and stuffy, couldn't wait to get out for air!!