Menu

At my wits end with 2.5 year old dd

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

oct cyprus bride Posts: 92
Girls please can somebody help me,advise me or tell sympatise with me regarding my 2.5 year old(3 in January) daughter.Im at my with end with her constant moods,anger and grouchiness.Myself and my dh just said this morning that's its been at least two weeks since we have seen our sweet little girl.This has been going on for quite some time but for the last few wks its been worse.She basically wakes up in bad form,only mammy is allowed to take her out of her big bed.poor daddy doesn't even get a look at,when she talks in in demands and rarely in a soft gentle voice.We get demands and and basically grouched at all day.If something goes against her or she doesn't want to pichk up her toys etc its an absolute screaming match.Ive tried the bold step,doesnt seem to work.Of late I have just had to remove her from the kitchen sitting room and gentle place her in her room and tell her she can come back out when she calms down...followed by a 20 min melt down she will come back in but could do the same thing again in 10 mins time.Im finding it exhausting and my poor 7 yr old isn't getting a look in at the moment.Shes in playschool 2 afternoons as I though it would do her good to interact with kids her age and see how they behave(my mil minds her while I work 3 days) On day 3 the playschool teacher asked me was she als that moody and angry at home or was it just a school thing :eek .So its everywhere. Has anyone else had this as im quite worried about her,Shes a very intelligent little girl and I believe she really does understand whats going on but sshe just cant seem to cope with her emotions.. Everyone is telling me its a phase and it will pass.....
ructions Posts: 2689
thanks ructions.I know im not alone here.i suppose im worried its spiralling out of control.She told me yesterday she doesn't like me.. :weep :weep I know some kids like to be consoled after they have a tantrum etc but she doesn't at all.We really have to conjole her to get any kinda cuddle or kiss.. I phoned home at lunchtime to see how she was and could he=ar her screaming and shouting at my poor mil and saying I don't like you nannie... Its heartbreaking..
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Ah that's tough going. Not to frighten you but could she be unwell? My MiL says that my husband was a terror in the house and then when he had an operation on his ear he was like a different child. He needed grommets (sp?) and was in nearly constant pain which obviously made him narky. Maybe a full check up would rule anything physical out? I'm not wishing anything to be wrong with you little girl but it could be something simple. Best of luck.
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Just occurred to me... Maybe ask your MiL to be frank with you, she obviously has a good relationship with your daughter if she minds her. Ask her to tell you honestly is it a discipline thing or is there anything she might suggest? Your MiL might have some insight or help to offer. She's reared her own so she might be able to reassure you that it is probably a phase or whatever.
ructions Posts: 2689
S WOW Posts: 412
[quote="Hbombadero":2gitptqh]Ah that's tough going. Not to frighten you but could she be unwell? My MiL says that my husband was a terror in the house and then when he had an operation on his ear he was like a different child. He needed grommets (sp?) and was in nearly constant pain which obviously made him narky. Maybe a full check up would rule anything physical out? I'm not wishing anything to be wrong with you little girl but it could be something simple. Best of luck.[/quote:2gitptqh] I don't have children but I think this is good advice. My friend's child didn't have a nights sleep until he was nearly 4 when he was diagnosed with some kind of allergy or intolerance to dairy. It might be worth looking into.
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
I'm gonna say teeth. My lad is 27 months and has been a bit if a grump last few weeks on and off. It's back in great form and has got the last 2 top molars. They weren't as bad as his eye teeth though. OMG, they were horrific. Is there much communication? If she can't say whats wrong maybe its a bit if frustration too.
Thanks for all the replies guys.I think I will get her checked out with the gp.More for my own piece of mind than anything.I do think she is just a very strong willed and determined little girl.Shes so easily frustrated and against everyone.My mother in law is great and she just says its a phase and will let nobody say a bad word about her unlike my own mum who says that one needs a right kick up the ass.Believe me I feel like doing that at times but what more can I do.I feel like im failing her or something and im so glad she is my second because I would seriously be doubting my parenting had she of been first.My ds is a well rounded gentle boy who caused no issues at all... Again thanks for the replies.
Suss Posts: 22
My Ds1 started this type of behaviour when he was 2 yrs and 8 mths, up until then he was fairly well behaved. He is almost 4 so this has been going on for 15 mths. He can be a nightmare, very stubborn, everything has to be done his way or no way. He will get himself hysterical over the slightest thing. I find it very difficult to cope with his behaviour and have been suffering panic attacks. He can have good days where he is very sensitive and caring but most days he can test me all day and by bedtime I'm really struggling. I read a few articles by Siobhan O'Rourke on Rollercoaster, she is a challenging behavioural therapist. You say your dd is very intelligent, I think my ds is too (I know most people say that but I have 2 other kids to compare him to and many nieces and nephews of that age) anyway this lady says that intelligent kids develop cognitive skills faster and social and emotional skills slower which can lead to them finding it difficult to cope with high emotion situations. Search for her on Rollercoaster and read some of her articles for advice.