At what age are you too old to be a 'traditional' bride?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
[i:37vpb2pj]The average age of grooms in 2007 was 33.4 years, slightly higher than 33.2 years in 2006 but an increase of 3.2 on the 1996 figure. The pattern for brides is similar with the average age increasing from 28.4 years in 1996 to 31.2 and 31.3 years in 2006 and 2007 respectively.[/i:37vpb2pj] At what age, do you think, is a woman too old for the big dress and wedding party? Or is there an age? I think, like most things, it depends on the individual. However, I do think that after 35 the attire should be more than modest than the typical 'princess' type look and after 40, toned down even more. Link to December 2010 article [url:37vpb2pj]http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/34172[/url:37vpb2pj]
Never too old? Really? Does the phrase 'mutton dressed as lamb" not apply to wedding dresses? [i:o5ebdokw]Forty is the last age a woman can be photographed in a wedding dress without the unintended Diane Arbus subtext.[/i:o5ebdokw] [url:o5ebdokw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=059XfzfOq-s[/url:o5ebdokw]
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I don't go in for all that 'you can only wear XX after a certain age' nonsense. That's all made up by fashion houses to sell more clothes, promote terrible self-image issues among women and enhance this notion that youth is beauty. I think when a woman starts to age, and I include myself in that as I'm 32, so no longer 19, she starts to WANT to dress differently, to pick a look that works for her rather than slavishly follow fashion. She knows by then what suits and what doesn't suit. What shows off her best assets and what doesn't. You know? But no-one should TELL her how to dress. I don't believe in the motto 'you're to old'. You're never too old for anything. Once a woman feels beautiful HERSELF then who am I to tell her what to wear? Who am I to tell her she's too old for a wedding gown?
[quote="Smileykaz":2clogpch] Once a woman feels beautiful HERSELF then who am I to tell her what to wear? Who am I to tell her she's too old for a wedding gown?[/quote:2clogpch] Well despite my own opinion of myself, if I look bad in something, or wear something inappropriate, I hope someone tells me!
vidia Posts: 2960
I completely agree with Smileyaz here! And to reply to your post! Yes you can look hideous in a dress and your friends should tell you, but this applies to brides of all ages!! Not just to brides of a certain age! I tied to look at your link, but it wouldnt load!!
The You Tube link is the vogue scene from the 1st sex and the city movie. This topic came up among my friends because we know a recent bride who wore a fabulous dress, but we all thought she was too old for it. She is 50, has a great figure (which I'd kill for!) and wore a very low cut, sleeveless dress. [quote="wollybride":ntas4r3k] this applies to brides of all ages!! Not just to brides of a certain age![/quote:ntas4r3k] Very true!
SGirl Posts: 2542
Going off topic here but I jsut looked at the link for Sex and the City and is it just me or were all those dresses HIDEOUS, and the bust part of the wedding dress (Vivien Westward) didnt fit. Yuck yuck ycuk. BTW i would say at 50 you'd need to tone it down for a wedding, the women in their 40s at work could def wear the full ensemble!
NittyGritty Posts: 1605
[quote="mafiros81":g2tuz1do] At what age, do you think, is a woman too old for the big dress and wedding party? Or is there an age? I think, like most things, it depends on the individual. However, I do think that after 35 the attire should be more than modest than the typical 'princess' type look and after 40, toned down even more. [/quote:g2tuz1do] Ok, so I'm the ripe old age of 36, so maybe I'm being super sensitive about this, but I read this OP and became really annoyed! Firstly, why should one's age determine if they are "too old" for a wedding party for God's sake??? Does being older make you less entitled to celebrate your marriage? I mean, what does age have to do with your right to a party? As for the dress, you say the attire should be more "modest" over the age of 35. Well, personally, I think the attire should be dictated by the body of the woman/girl wearing it. And by that I mean how she [i:g2tuz1do]looks[/i:g2tuz1do] in her dress, regardless of age. What does "modest" mean anyway? I don't think anyone I know is rocking up the aisle in a string bikini. How much flesh flashing do brides really do? So the word modest is confusing in this context. But to address your question, just because you're young, does not mean you wear a dress any better than a woman in her late 30s, early 40s. Let's face it, there are a lot of women out there well over the 35 mark you've mentioned who look a [i:g2tuz1do]whole[/i:g2tuz1do] lot better than some in their 20s. Age does not give a green light for being able to wear what you want. That's down to your body/figure.
Littlebo Posts: 2598
Great post Nitty Gritty! Coming from a fellow 36 year old you said exactly what I was thinking. Generally speaking of course. most woman come into their prime in their mid thirties and have a far better sense of themselves and their bodies. We know what suits us and usually can dress far better than in our twenties. I have one or two friends in particular that look like they are in their late 20's and have fantastic figures ( Work out) and have no wrinkles ( well none that I can see). My Husband when meeting them were stunned that they were nearly 40! Age has nothing to do it with it...Taste has everything!
CroB2B2011 Posts: 399
Never too old! I mean, a wedding dress is a long (generally), white/ivory (usually) dress. There's no rules and a huge range of styles, there really is something out there for everyone. My dress is a very simple, popular design and I've seen pictures of women in all ages up to 50s I'd say in it, and they all looked great. My cousin's gf just turned 40, and let me tell you, if they get married she will make a stunning bride.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9