At what week do you tell your boss??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

windycity Posts: 2241
Hi girls, at what wk do you tell you boss youre pregnant? (public service)
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Legally you're only obliged to tell work four weeks before you plan to go on ML, which would be two weeks before your due date. I told my boss at about 16 weeks. We only told our families at 12 weeks so I wasn't going to tell work before then.
PrincessJasmine Posts: 221
I told my boss at 11 weeks as I had my appointment at the hospital and knew it would take a few hours. You're entitled to paid time off for each doctors visit during pregnancy & I didn't want to use holidays for it (I don't have that many) so it was better for me to tell him at this stage. ETA: If your job involves lifting or somthing you're not confortable doing while pregnant I think your obliged to inform them earlier
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
I told work at 14 weeks because we only told parents at 12 weeks. I too had a scan appointment that I took a half day from work for at the time but when work found out they gave me back the day off so don't worry about that. How far are you gone? As princess jasmin said you are entitled to paid time off.
mamajen Posts: 2263
I told my direct manager at 5 weeks for health and safety reasons and also because we were coming into a stressful time in work so I wanted her to be aware of my stress levels and to make sure I took it easy.
marles Posts: 1397
I know I was well past 20 weeks when I was pregnant with DD.I didn't feel the need to tell them as I was feeling fine and my job doesn't have any dangerous aspects. I do think if your job involves any lifting or anything risky then I do think you need to tell your boss and in many jobs they might have to do a risk assessment.
FoundHome Posts: 1753
15 weeks here
keabea Posts: 148
I was almost 16 weeks when I told my boss last time. I'm now 12 weeks pregnant on my second child and am much bigger so am really struggling to hide it! I'm going to tell them next week.
noc Posts: 1802
We told our families at pretty early stage (around 4 weeks!). I told my boss early too - at around 8 or 9 weeks because my job involves some lifting/ manual handling, stress and because I was really suffering with morning sickness and wanted them to be aware of the fact that I wasn't going to be able to be at 100% all the time/ why I was looking a bit tired and green. Also, we were scheduled to travel and because I was sick I really didn't want to do this so I didn't have to in the end. As it turned out they only got around to doing a risk assessment about 3 or 4 weeks after that (sigh!) so I just tried to be sensible myself. And I only took one sick day so far in entire pregnancy for a day when I was under the weather. But I'm glad I told them early as it's no fun feeling rotten and having to hide it from even your close colleagues and friends on top of that. Told my friends at 9 weeks too so they'd know why I'd become an antisocial hermit. :o0 I'm not good at keeping secrets.
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Told my boss @ 6 weeks because I was having an early scan and needed time off. Told the rest of the office @ 12 weeks.