At wits end with breastfeeding - please help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlemama Posts: 471
My DS is five weeks old and in the last 10 days we've started having major problems. When he first feeds he will latch and relatch lots of times and he never seems to go longer than 5-10 mins for a feed. Every time he comes off boob I wind him and he generally gets wind up, although he can spew up maybe 1-2 times a day. Because I don't think he's gone long enough on the boob I'll keep putting him back on, he acts like he's hungry but then he'll come off screaming and crying. He is also very unsettled throughout the day so I spend most of day either feeding or soothing him. thought maybe he had touch of colic and started giving him infacol but doesn't seem to be helping. Weighed him yest and his weight is flying up so I know he's getting enough milk. I'm so stressed out now and disappointed as we were doing so well and I don't know what's changed. I know that if it keeps up I'll end up switching to formula which I don't really want to do but don't know any other solution as poor fella seems miserable. if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
OrTees Posts: 907
Hi there, sorry to hear you're having so much difficulty at the moment. One thing that came to mind is that he may have reflux- it would be worth taking him to your GP to check it out. My friends little boy has it and some of what you describe sounds similar. Also, some babies do feed for shorter periods so he may be getting what he needs in those 5-10min feeds. Best of luck- I hope things improve for you