Att Payrole People - I just got 5k rebate and dont know why

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kckc123 Posts: 66
Ok i am so not complaining - feel like i've won the lotto but i just got rebate of E4,700 and have no idea why - before christmas i enquired with the tax office of how i claim for when i was off on maternity leave and the very helpful lady checked my details and they had me down for claiming one parent allowance - I hadnt' claimed for one parent since 2005 when i changed jobs and was earning substantially more than i had been. It must be because of this but i can't figure out why - I have always been getting the single parent tax credit. I'm not complaining obviously as we are so stuck for money its a blessing.
Kickasswife Posts: 4051
it :-8
I don't understand it either and i am half afraid they will come looking for it back.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
I don't understand it either but I'm sure if Revenue sent you out a cheque you are entitled to it!!Enjoy it ;o)
GAA Fan Posts: 629
Usually from Revenue (I presume it was them you got it from) when they are doing a rebate you sometimes might get the cheque first. But a day or two later you will get how the calculated this amount. Hold onto cheque until you get this breakdown, I say you had wrong Tax Credit & allowances and she back dated these for you.
it was lodged to my bank account and i got p21s for the last four years and each year was refund was about a grand. I don't understand they always had me correctly taxed as a single parent, so it seems to me the fact that they had me down as claimign social when i wasn't must have affected it - but I didn't think that affected my tax
ott Posts: 3920
Was your single parent tax credit reduced because they thought you were in receipt of the allowance? Based on your earnings... I don't know if this is possible - just an idea.
gottabfp Posts: 5641
sounds good, p21 calculate the tax you have paid and if it is wrong this corrects it. I applied for a p21 and i ended up oweing them €1000 . My aunt got 5000 too.
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Have a read of this kckc123 - there are a number of scenarios which may have played out that would have resulted in you getting a tax credit - taking up full time work / transitional payments / took time work following birth of child etc. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/so ... yment.html
Thanks for replies i'm going to check up the citizens info now - it mus be something to do with it