Attn Stargazers or Anyone out viewing night sky last night..

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LabLady Posts: 4325
Hi all I was out walking the ladies last night and on our way home a light in the sky caught my eye, brighter than a shooting star/meteorite and I looked up, it was falling big n bright, looked like it stopped for a minute then continued to fall (rather slower than a meteorite) then poof out like a light! I thought, oh big meteorite or.. a shuttle landing? Anyone see anything last night between 10-11? DH just said, your imagination running away with you again? stopping in the sky? It was litteraly only a few seconds it did that so I thought maybe burning through the atmosphere, ie re entry. I dunno. Any help solving my sighting would be greatly appreciated.
MrsBlues Posts: 5170
Ah bloody hell I always miss these things. Have a look here www.irishastronomy.org they usually report if they see anything.
thanks I will!
innocentbride Posts: 195
I was looking out the window last night at the nignt sky just before it got really dark and thinking the sky looked really beautiful a real dark inky blue!! I was going to take my little doggies out after 10 as I would loved to have seen that. I have seen what looked like a slow metorite falling in the west direction of limerick before, different from s shooting star as it didnt leave the usual trail and did look very strange. My DH has seen something similar to what you described as well
MrsBlues Posts: 5170
I saw one too, a good few years back, me and this guy were on a beach and we literally both looked up at the same time, it was just there for a split second and we were like 'oh-my-god-did-you-see-that' at the exact same time, it was so funny, but such an amazing sight.
Valkstar Posts: 2747
It was the ISS - the International Space Station. It's been visible for the past 10 days or so *)
23skidoo Posts: 1272
UFO. :o0 Pity I didn't see it, I would have had all sorts of conspiracy theories to go through. :o(
thanks I will!
honeyec Posts: 969
Man those sky lanterns stay up for ages - I let mine off on Friday!
[quote="Valkstar":3qscgrz3]It was the ISS - the International Space Station. It's been visible for the past 10 days or so *)[/quote:3qscgrz3] would it look like a meteorite and vanish? I had seen satelites, it was nothing like that, but then again a space station would be bigger and probably closer?