Avalon or accord pre marriage course

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

iwantone Posts: 176
Morning Ladies, Can anyone tell me if the avalon pre marriage course is approved by the church? I know the accord one is and its the more expensive one. Avalon are now doing them in the hotel near our house which would be so handy! Our priest advised us to do one but didnt say it had to be a certain one. Anyone one any ideas :o)ll
2bhitched Posts: 23
Hey MrsOct2010 We live in Scotland and when we asked our Priest in Ireland about pre-marriage courses he told us that as long as we took one it didn't matter which one. We are doing the FOCCUS marriage preparation course in Edinburgh. I guess they'll all be similar in content. I know of a friend of W2B who was told by their priest they didn't have to do one but he asked them to climb to the top of Croagh Patrick instead! :yelrotflmaosmilie: Think it depends on the priest to be honest.
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
we did the Accord one that the one the piest recommended. It cost us €150
scoutf Posts: 667
Check with your priest if he'll accept the Avalon one cos I know other people have posted on here saying theirs didn't.
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
Check with your priest first about the avalon one. We did it, and actually really enjoyed it. Was very practical and interesting
iwantone Posts: 176
Thanks Ladies, when we met with him, he didnt tell us we had to do one, he said he would advise it because it was really good. He gave us lots of names like the one in All Hallows or the together one so im sure that Avalon will be fine when he wasnt telling us to do one! Ended up booking the avalon one today for 30th may and we need to start getting sorted :o)ll
boutoniere Posts: 38
We did Avalon. It was shorter and way cheaper. At the same time I know of alot of clerics who are not approving of it though. We have 5 weeks to go and final paper work to complete and have yet to get it passed as our priest has never heard of it. In comparison to friends who completed courses through ACCORD/ NAOMI / All Hallows etc fully recognised by the Catholic Church, I know these are more complete and in depth than Avalon. Wish us luck and good luck to whatever one you decide!!!!
Wenty Posts: 238
Hey there, We just did our pre-marriage today in All Hallows and to be honest it was really good. H2B was convinced there was going to be role plays and a huge Mr & Mrs type quiz at the end of it (including the diamante carriage clock) but even HE thought it was a good day. Facilitators are really nice and down to earth, no role plays just "knee to knee" discussions between ourselves. Would fully recommend it..... Best of luck with the preparations :)
marie k Posts: 30
[quote="MrsOct2010":30pzdycl]Morning Ladies, Can anyone tell me if the avalon pre marriage course is approved by the church? I know the accord one is and its the more expensive one. Avalon are now doing them in the hotel near our house which would be so handy! Our priest advised us to do one but didnt say it had to be a certain one. Anyone one any ideas :o)ll[/quote:30pzdycl] hey chicken ! your lucky - our priest refused to marry us unless we did the accord one! From what I can gather it seems to be up to the priest because both are approved. We now have to do 4 nights and one 50min session with a facilitator ! :duh:
Snuddlums Posts: 1644
[quote="marie k ":156klhpf] hey chicken ! your lucky - our priest refused to marry us unless we did the accord one! From what I can gather it seems to be up to the priest because both are approved. We now have to do 4 nights and one 50min session with a facilitator ! :duh:[/quote:156klhpf] Ah thats unfortunate-Ye will really know each other by the end of that!! :)