Avalon-Pre marriage course??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Oct2009Bride Posts: 30
Hi Guys, I'm just wondering has anyone done this course or signed up for it??, If so do you know if this certificate is accepted by all priests? Any help would be great xx :-8
chaos Posts: 1904
hi there, we did the avalon course last sept in Limerick, brilliant course, david the guy who runs it is so nice and easy going. it was on from 11 to 5 with an hour and half for lunch,. 135 euro. well worth doing it instead of the church's own one. we met our parish priest last night to do the pre nup forms (not the priest marrying us) and he said he hadnt heard of them but it was grand as we had the cert to prove we had done the course so he was fine with that, he even gave out that the church one was 180 and over 2 days where avalon was 15. htp :wv
That sounds great, yeah its the same guy david, he now does it in Athlone too, its 140euro for the same course 11-5. Do u think would it be best to check with the priest first. I'm just anxious to get booked up as nearly all the accord ones in this area are booked up for next couple of months and we need to be doing it now.
chaos Posts: 1904
i suppose it wouldnt harm a quick call to your priest but i remember i asked david if he thought it would be acceptable to all priests and he said he has been running them for years and not once did a priest refuse it. i think once you have a proper cert to prove its done, you should be ok. after all its not a must that you have to do it, its just recommended.
Thanks a million for that info. Good luck with all your plans x :thnk
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
Just found this thread now. David did ours in Dublin. I told the priest I was doing it with Avalon before I did it. He also had never heard of them, but was satisfied once we did one. It did take over a week to get the cert in the post though.
bridezilly Posts: 343
we're doing it on saturday!
Best of luck!.....especially if you are doing the 3 hour one to one. I am sure the 5 hour one is alot more lighthearted.
bridezilly Posts: 343
ooooooooooooh no... not one to one !! i'm not that enthusiastic ... by i, i mean we !
Well we wanetd to do the 5 hour one, but H2B works most Saturdays until mid afternoon and couldn't tell in advance when he would have a Saturday off. Avalon don't do the course every weekend either. We ended up doing it in 3 hours 1-1 on a Sunday evening. Very intense I must say. I wouldn't do it that way again, but it was good I have to say, but not enjoyable! It also cost €250 that way, so double the price!