Baby Book

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Festive Wedding Posts: 133
Hi All I am looking for a recommendation. What is the best baby/pregnancy book to get. Looking for something comprehensive and informative. Tks
Lemon8 Posts: 367
'What to Expect when you are Expecting' is very good.
nea dude Posts: 749
I bought the MAYO CLINIC Healthy Pregnancy book. I do find it very good. It has a comprehensive index so it's good for quick referencing when you think of something you want to look up quickly. It takes you through the pregnancy week by week, what’s happening to you and your baby. It goes through potential illness etc.. It gives explainations of tests that you will have throughout the pregnancy. Overall I like the book, it's good for someone who has no idea about pregnancy. Remember, there is only so much you can read about pregnancy, you'll get tired of reading articles/books etc... so one book is enough to buy. I really believe the more first time mothers read about the "possible" things that can go wrong, the more stressed they become. When I first became pregnant I was trying to read up on every aspect, now I just rely on what my doctor tells me. My pregnancy is healthy and that's all I need to know. Pregnancy is a natural experience for all women and no two pregnancies are the same.
naughton Posts: 111
I bought 'Your baby and child' by Penelope Leach and find it really good, it covers parenting from pregnancy up to when the child is 3 years old. One piece of advice I was given was if I was going to read anything, read up a bit on when the baby arrives. I found this book good for covering the lot, I like the style it is written in too, very intuitive and doesn't patronise, it reminds you from the off that it is important to read your baby as a priority over reading any book. I was lent the 'what to expect' book and find it a good reference, it is very bullet pointy, not something I would sit down and read through...
naughton Posts: 111
oops double post..
nwhite Posts: 216
As the lady said what to expect when your expecting is an excellent book