Menu

Baby care/parenting-type books -recommendations please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Poppyseed Posts: 513
Looking for recommendations on some reading material for first time (clueless) parents!! Thanks :wv
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Lucy Atkins, First Time Parent,was good. Basic, straightforward advice.
twinbride Posts: 278
Hi. I read the baby whisperer book before I had dd and found it informative. But she was a windy refluxy baby who didn't nap so I ended up with every book going. To tell u the truth in the end all these books did was make me feel like I was doing an AWFUL job as they would say, by now your baby should be doing this that and the other and she wasn't. So I'd definately recommend getting something practical but I'd take them with. Pinch of salt and you will work out what works for you and your lo yourself. Xx
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
Dr. Mirriam Stoppard - new baby care! Ya cant go wrong. Its my 'go to' manual for a lot of things.
MrsPositive Posts: 1548
I would say you'll be fine! Your instincts will kick in.
nomla Posts: 787
What to epect the first year I found good. More like a medical journal with milestones. Fact not opinion. Got alot of other ones; baby whisperer; the contented baby book; and alot more and to be honest they all made me feel like a bad mammy as lil man didn't follow their recommended routine; we did our own lil one but it took a while to get their. I would say it will come and there is no need to spend a fortune on books; if u have queries ask on here and people will share their experience.
Dovetail Posts: 293
I agree 100% with Mrs Positive but if you do plan to read something do so before the birth cos you just won't have the time once he/ she is here!
Poppyseed Posts: 513
Thanks ladies! :thnk Cheers MrsP!! I really hope so! Dovetail - that's the plan, to read before junior arrives!! Feel like I'm studying for an exam!! If I don't feel prepared I tend to panic so I'm just trying to avoid that.
Dovetail Posts: 293
Is it a bad time for me to tell you nothing prepares you? :o0 I see where you're coming from though. I did the same but I think Mrs Positive is right about a lot of it being instinctual. You'll pick stuff up as you go along anyway but ultimately you'll know your baby better than any author and you'll have a gut sense for what you need to do. Probably no one book will guide your parenting approach. I didn't find the baby whisperer great - a little too simplistic or something? I think I was expecting more. I'd go for a more practical book - you know a what to expect type manual.
noc Posts: 1802
Your Babycare Bible by Dr Tony Waterson is good, neutral and facts-based with plenty of pictures - even step by step guides with photos on how to dress a new baby, change, bathe and so on.